Chapter Twenty

I slide open my phone and type:

Uhm, we need to talk. About the other night. Now.

I wasn't expecting a text message response back so quickly. Yet to my surprise, I had five.

Like right now?

I'm kind of working.

Wait, about what we did in the -?

Everly!?

Why can't you come over here and talk to me?

Glancing at the screen, I chuckle out loud and some elderly couple smiles at me; and then I think long and hard about how to respond. My brain is telling me this is a bad idea; but my gut is telling me to go for it.

Do you really want the staff knowing what happened? If I come over there, everyone will know. Maybe this was a bad idea. I make a lot of those lately...

Bobby: Do you want to rant through text message? I'm a good reader.

No. Maybe. I don't know. Uh, meet me in the stairwell tonight. Fifth floor. You know which one. We need to talk or maybe I need something else. Either way, we need to do something.

Bobby: Come here.

No.

Bobby: Now.

Fine, but this doesn't dismiss what happen. I feel guilty and meeting you would surely make me feel that even more.

Bobby: Everly! Come here.

I powered my screen off and sluggishly walked over to the slide and leaned against the net that separated us. It was the only thing that was keeping us apart. He looked up at me with those piercing blue eyes and I melted. Almost losing my balance, I grasp the net and look away for a second; before returning my gaze towards him.

               "Everly? What's wrong?"

               "Something. Nothing. Everything. I basically lost all my friends due to spitting out the truth. Listen, I said some things that I now regret and I just can't take any more of this. So, this whole you and I kissing in the stairwell was a onetime deal. Just two people who were mutually available at the right time in the right place while experience a lapse of judgement. It cannot, and I mean that, happen again."

             "Is that what you want?"

              "Stop that. Don't turn this around on me. I already feel really terrible. I've been really selfish, stubborn, and mean lately and I certainly don't need to be adding guilty and adventurous to that list."

            "Okay."

          "Okay? Really?"

         "It's what you want, isn't?"

          "That means no calling, surprise visits on your days off, and absolutely no texting me."

As soon as I said that his half smile flipped into a disgruntled, hard frown. You could tell he was biting the inside of his bottom lip as he stared at the kid splashing in the water as he came out of the slide. A thumbs up to the person upstairs and the whole process begins again.

          "You should leave, Everly."

After that, I turn away and quickly walk to my table while gathering my things; and glance one more time over to him who looks like he's going to burst into tears or anger at any moment; and leave the pool area.

This is by far the worse birthday I have ever experienced.

No friends.

No potential boyfriend.

Family feuds.

Nothing.

Yeah, this birthday sucks with a capital "S".