Chapter Ten

Checking my phone for the umpteenth time, I see that it's nearly 1:15 p.m. and my heart literally skips a beat; that was until I forgot that Freddie was standing in front of me: brooding and be a grouch like always. Okay, just see what he wants and then head downstairs. Shouldn't take long? Right?

                        "Where do you think you're going?"

                        "Uhm, the kitchen?"

                       "Mhmm...sure. No, I need to talk to you."

                       "Well I see I have no choice. Should I get a lawyer little brother?" I say sarcastically as I tap my foot and wait for him to respond. Freddie and I haven't been close for the last five years. One of his best friends – someone we won't say the name of – fell in love with me. Cliché right? Well, my little brother was only twelve and I was...17. I thought it was sweet and he thought I brainwashed his friend; and it caused an issue between us. I told his friend that it was never going to happen and that he should move onto someone who was more his age – and we never saw Trever again. Oops, I have spoken his name. I'll regret that later.

                     "Don't be funny now. You think you can forget the turmoil you put the family in just yesterday? I don't know if you are trying to sleep with anyone that will give you attention – but it needs to stop! Not everyone wants to be with you."

                   "Are we seriously back to that? Your little friend was 12, Freddie. Jail bait if I were to have moved in on him. I told him it was never going to happen. What is this really about? Mad that I won't spend time with you? That not all the attention is on you? Really, what is it that has got you in this 'mad-bubble'?" I say as I push pass him and open the refrigerator.

                 "I lost a friend because of you!!! You walk around like you are some queen or princess or whatnot and expect things to be hand delivered to you! Spoiled. Self-centered. You don't care who you walk all over unless it suits you. Guess what, if this act continues – dad will ban you from..."

                "Ban her from what Freddie? I believe that is for your mother and I to discuss. Go out and have some fun. I will address this issue without lies and deception. Run along. Now." My brother slams the door on his way out and then it was just my father, who I loved dearly and myself. I could tell that he didn't condone my behavior yesterday, but I also could tell – while looking in those sage green eyes – that he didn't think ridiculing me for my opinion was right. Slipping a glance down at my phone, I see the time change to: 2:05 p.m. and slowly begin to be antsy. Twenty five minutes until Bobby clocks in and starts his shift. Barely half an hour, until I get to see him again. Mere minutes until we can continue having our conversation. Ugh, this is so nerve-wrecking. Let me go. I promise I will be good. No more issues. Dad!! Life or death! Let me go! Just get whatever it is out of your system and let me free. I'll be good.

He comes around and sits in the booth and stares out towards the balcony for like a minute. Dramatic effect, I suppose? Then he folds his hands and stares at the ground for another moment; then his eyes meet my ocean blue eyes. We may never see eye-to-eye... well in a figurative sense – but when we do, it's almost always a good outcome. He lifts his head and says, "Do you like this Tomlinson fellow? Is it going to make you happy? Have you already planned your life around him? Answer me that and I will make a decision."

Not knowing what to say, I walk over and shift myself onto the spinning chair; and stare at the ground. Uhm, how do I respond to that? He's typically always understanding, but what's his ploy here? Why all the sudden interest? "Uh, yes I like him. Dad, you already knew that. Four years in a row – we know his mother and everyone mocks me over this 'crush' I have on him. If I were to date him – yeah it would make me happy...but I don't need him to be happy. Uhm...my life is uncertain at the moment. Why?"

My dad slides his hand in his pocket and pulls out his phone; and presses like three buttons before standing up and walking over towards me. Placing his phone on the counter, I see the image. I could feel my cheeks become hot and grow ten shades pinker. Sadly, I didn't know if I was overly ecstatic or simply embarrassed – but I loved the picture.

Oh my...my parents watched us today and said nothing about it. They knew why I was happy and couldn't bring their egos to say anything?! Typical parents. The picture was of Bobby and me of course. I was leaning against the railing look out at the sunrise and Bobby...was right behind me with his hand just barely touching my waist. A picture so simple yet so intimate. It was our picture. Pure bliss rolled over me as I grabbed my dad's phone and sent it to my Facebook messenger.

                   "Go Everly. See what the world has to offer. Remember I love you. Even when I don't always show it." Softly says my father as he leans over and kisses me on the side of my face; before grabbing his phone and walking back to his room. Peeking down at the phone in my hand, I see that it says: 2:25 p.m. and I quite literally fall out of my seat. He'll be here soon. I have five minutes to liven up...and I have no freaking idea on what to do first. Where's my list?!

Things to do:

Brush hair

Wear makeup

Find the perfect bikini

Look for sunglasses

Grab a towel

Get a beach bag ready

Wear Jake from Hollister Body Spray

Phone

This list

Brush my teeth

Shave my armpits

Shave my legs

As soon as I realized I didn't have enough time to do this, I darted to the bathroom to fix myself up. Do this. Do that. Stay away from that. Casual, nonchalant look at phone. Spray here. Apply here. Look in the mirror – okay I am ready to talk to Bobby.

Here goes nothing.