Chapter Fourteen

It started suddenly and I didn't want it to stop. My heart was racing. My mind – that was out the door and dancing in the wind. Oh and my gut...let's say it's auditioning for the best summersaults ever. The fever I was running was psychosomatic or "not really there" as the doctors would put it. Technically I was just overjoyed and overwhelmed at the same time - nothing to seriously concern myself with; except for the fact that he messaged me again.

He's thinking of me.

My plan is working.

Maybe. Just maybe it'll work out in my favor!

Bobby: Hey. It's Bobby. 2:35 p.m.

Me: Hey you. :) 2:37 p.m.

Bobby: What are you up to? 2:37 p.m.

Me: Nothing really. Lounging around the pool with a good book. You? 2:40 p.m.

Bobby: A book? You're at the pool with a book. Don't you have anything better to do? I feel like I need to go up there and check you out. Running a fever? 2:42 p.m.

Me: There's nothing here that I haven't done. If you want to come up on your day off...be my guest. 2:45 p.m.

Bobby: I see I have no choice. Don't do anything stupid while I am away. I'll see you later. 2:49 p.m.

Me: You just can't stay away, can you? Lol. :) 2:51 p.m.

Bobby: It's a habit I am trying to stop. Problem is, I don't want to stop. Maybe I am the one with a fever? Lol. :) 2:55 p.m.

Lays phone down. He used a smiley face. He's flirting back. My plan is working. Picks phone up again to continue.

Me: :) :) :) 2:57 p.m.

Bobby: Loss of words? It's me isn't it? I knew it. 3:00 p.m.

Me: Nope. You're just going to have to wait and see. 3:01 p.m.

Bobby: Oh you're one of those girls. I see. Completely understand. 3:05 p.m.

Me: Yeah, you're going to have to come see me and figure it out. 3:05 p.m.

Bobby: Yes I am. I'll be there in 45 minutes. Can you handle that? 3:09 p.m.

Me: Whatever will I do in the meantime? Lol.  3:10 p.m.

Bobby: Go to the beach, down the slide, play a game of pool? Just put the book down and nobody gets hurt. 3:12 p.m.

Me: That's a tough one. I think I'll stick to reading upon your arrival. 3:17 p.m.

Bobby: ☺☺☺ 3:25 p.m.

Me: Now you're the one speechless. 3:27 p.m.

Bobby: See you shortly Everly!! 3:30 p.m.

Me: Drive safe, Bobby. 3:33 p.m.

Wait. Just wait a hot minute. Won't he get in trouble if he is seen hanging out with me? I mean...granted he's not in uniform, but still? I don't want to get the outcome I want if it means he might lose his job. Hold up. Why am I having all of these superficial qualms? The plan hasn't changed.

Flirt with Bobby. Make him want you. Have him flirt back with you. Date Bobby.

If I...you know...me...Everly pulls out of this plan; everything will be lost. My friends. My social life. Everything. I need to stop throwing caution to the wind and just jump and hope I don't crash and burn.

I like him.

At least I think I like him.

If I don't try to figure out what this is...I'll regret it till the day I die. He'll be here in like 30 minutes. There's still time to soak up the sun and maybe put a dent into this book. That's thing with me. Always up for a good book, but I have like a thousand sitting on my bookcase...waiting to be read...collecting dust...taunting me. One chapter will not hurt me. He never has to know.

                         "Hey you! You're the girl that almost joined the game the other day. Right?" says Lucas as he slides one hand into his pocket while holding his phone in the other. He's tall. Not giraffe tall...but he's up there.

                       "That would be me. The crazy girl who couldn't make up her mind; and ended up ruining the rest of her day. Yes. Lucas, right?"

                     "Tall guy. That would be me. You busy?" says Lucas as he sits on the lounge chair beside me. He had sandy blonde hair that was a bit shaggy and his eyes were ice blue. It was like staring at the ocean and it staring back at you. Not that he's an 'it'. His nose was a tad on the 'larger' side and his lips were pink and slightly plump. He's got that laid-back-surfer-mixed-with-band-player-style going.

                    "I am trying to finish this book."

                   "At a resort? Are you crazy? Haven't people given you the memo yet?"

                   "Actually, yes he has. I guess it's not the 'norm' for resort-goers?!" I chuckled as I folded the book shut.

                   "Well he's a smart guy. Anyways, if you want to hang out later...we'll be in the game room. Unless that book is better company?" says Lucas as he stands up and taps on my book.

                  "We'll see. Later Lucas."

                  "Bye Everly."

Flipping over, I pull my book over and start on chapter three of Everland which was labeled:

Gwen. "I gently set Mikey down and slip my rucksack off my shoulders." Then I get lost in the book and about twenty minutes go by and I ended up on the 10th chapter which was: Hook. "With my army swarming Everland..." I read until my phone bleeped loudly jolting me from Everland to Cocoa Beach.

Bobby: Come to the game room. 4:27 p.m.

Me: What? No. 4:29 p.m.

Bobby: Everly, come here. 4:31 p.m.

Me: Still no. 4:31 p.m.

Bobby: Where are you? 4:33 p.m.

Me: Still reading poolside. You? 4:35 p.m.

Bobby: Outside. 4:36 p.m.

Me: This book is good. I enjoy it. I don't want to get up, Bobby. 4:39 p.m.

Bobby: So you want me to leave? Okay then. 4:44 p.m.

Me: No. God no! Please come here! 4:46 p.m.

Bobby: Can you open this gate please, Everly? It's very hot outside. 4:48 p.m.

Me: Ugh! Fine. You win. You'll pay for this. 4:50 p.m.

Bobby: Thank you. :) :) :) 4:52 p.m.

Tossing my book aside, I lunge myself forward and begin making my way towards black gate. Or is it green? It's black. Oh, there he is. Yum. When I finally arrive at the gateway, I stare up at him and contemplate on whether or not to let him in. He pokes his finger through the gate and tickles me.

                       "Okay. What now?" I say as I reach to open the gate.