Chapter One

"She doesn't understand!" I scream as I lean back in the car against the leather seat. "She thinks that I go to this vacation for Bobby. FYI – I don't. Am I not allowed to have an assortment of clothing for my vacation?"

Cece turns her head towards me in the back and gives me a slim smile. Then she takes a sip of her Iced Caramel Macchiato, before returning her gaze. "Because she's your mom. You pack way too much for 7 days of being at the pool or the beach. Some begin to wonder what your true motives are. I love you E, but you have to admit that the evidence doesn't do you any good."

There she goes again. Putting her lawyer ways onto anyone and everyone that will listen. Granted she's smart, but she doesn't need to make me feel bad about my life choices. Yeah, I tend to pack more than the normal everyday girl and maybe it has to do with Bobby – but I like to look nice on vacation! Cece just needs to put being a Lawyer on the back burner for at least two weeks and then she can resume after my vacation. Ugh, I can hear her just nagging me about my life choices and blah, blah, blah!

                                 "Are you even listening, Hoffy? See this is another reason your mother thinks you do whatever it is that you do there out of spite of your siblings; and because you're trying to impress Bobby. It's never going to be a thing, so you might as well just stop while you're ahead." Says Cece as she turns the car off and pushes her driver side door open. "Now, let's go do some retail shopping."

Hopping out of the car, I notice Poppy on the bench just kicking her foot waiting for us. As soon as she spots us, she dashes over and wham – it's a huge hugging fest.

                                   "So?"

                                  "Yeah?"

                                   "Are we talking about Bobby again?"

                                  "You know she is." Interjects Bea as she smiles and sips on her coffee.

                                "It's about how her mom thinks she packs way too much for 7 days." States Desi before she plants herself onto the hood of the car.

                                "And she doesn't like hearing our thoughts on it. It's a shame..." begins Cece before she pauses mid-sentence to see the new baseball transfer, Jacob Jennings entering the mall. "I'll be right back. Don't let her concoct any crazy ideas!

                                 "We won't. Go get em' tiger!" slyly says Maggie as she throws her coffee in the trash. "So, what exactly is your plan of attack this year? Wear countless bikinis and swimsuits until he notices? Dress up and have the perfect selfie? Go down to Portland's Vintage Shop? Actually enjoy the vacation?"

Maggie is right. She just keeps it real and tells it how it is. That's why I like her. When a girl was bullying me in second grade for having braces; she went up to the guy and said, "Don't you dare mess with a tiny human! You're going to squander her. Pick on someone your own size or tell her you like her. It's not that hard." Let's just say...she became super smart and popular after that and I never had to worry about being called "brace-face" again. She's my rock in a sea of unsteadiness. Ooh, Portland's Vintage Shop... I should definitely check that place out.

                                      "Uhm..."

                                      "Hoffy! You're like the most sought after volleyball player in the US. Just because you don't get this guy doesn't mean you won't get the next guy. Be patient. Your time will come."