55

Jacob shuts Ana's locker door making her give him a dirty look. "What the hell, Jacob?"

"Hurry up, Ana. We'll be late for class." Jacob says anxiously.

Ana smirks, Jacob has the hots for one of the boys in the class. She has to admit he's not bad looking, but she's not his type and he's not her's either. 

Six months have gone by since school started, Valentine's day is coming up and the school has a big dance advertised all over. There have also been several money makers for various classes, buying flowers or candy and having it delivered on Valentine's day. As far as Ana is concerned this is the worst holiday ever. This holiday makes the unpopular kids feel like shit.

At least Jenny has made sure that Ana is accepted this year. Without Jezey's vitriol and with Jenny backing her Ana finds people actually talking to her for a change. She still hates having to deal with idiots though and there are an awful lot of idiots in her high school.

Ana had used her lunch break to buy flowers for everyone in the school. She had left instructions that every person should have at least two flowers. She made sure there was enough money and told them any extra was for the class sponsoring the sale. The class reps that were taking the orders were gobsmacked, especially when she gave them over two thousand in cash to pay for the flowers.

Ana is brought out of her revery when someone knocks into her almost knocking her down. She hears some muffled giggles and looks up into the most popular boy at school now that Trinity graduated.

Ana puts her hand on Jacob to keep him from fighting. "An apology is what a decent person would be giving, but since there are only assholes nearby that's too much to expect."

Michael sneers at her, "You wouldn't be talking so big if pretty boy wasn't by your side."

Jacob beams at Michael, he hasn't seen Ana fight in some time and he was complimented.

Instead of fighting Ana breaks out in laughter so long and hard that she actually starts to cry. "Pretty boy," she manages to gasp out, "protects people from me, not the other way around." Then she walks off, Jacob having to guide her because she couldn't stop the laughter and the tears it generates.

"Always unpredictable, Ana. I thought I was going to have to fight again. You know Damon threatened to pull me out of school if I get in anymore fights. He is still listed as our legal guardian you know."

"I know, that's why I stopped you from fighting. Besides, Michael is a lightweight, I'd have him down in less than five minutes. He'd be dead in seven." Ana gasps out trying desperately to stop her laughter before class starts.

"And you'd be in jail within half an hour after that. Ana, you know you can't kill the kids you fight here."

"I know that's why I laughed at him instead. Nothing pisses off a self important person more than someone laughing at them." Ana finally manages to bring herself under control.

"Ana, we have someone asking to talk to Hawk, they want to join." Ana looks at Jonah her face a mask of ennui and only the raising of her eyebrow shows interest. Ana recruits, she doesn't take recruits from the street.

"Is he an undercover officer?" Ana demands to know.

Jonah shakes his head, "Not that we've been able to ascertain. It seems he's a local high school hot shot and wants to play with the bad boys. His name's Michael, Michael Blaine."

Ana breaks into fits of laughter when she hears the name. She calls Jacob in. She tries hard to get herself under control once more.

She has herself more or less under control by the time Jacob enters. "I haven't heard you laugh like that since Michael ran into you at school a couple of months ago."

"Jonah, tell Jacob what you told me." Ana gasps out trying to keep from laughing and catch her breath again.

Jacob stares at Jonah, "You've got to be kidding me."

"I'm missing something here." Jonah looks from Ana to Jacob and back again.

"Michael is one of the popular bullies. He ran into Ana purposely and when she stopped me from fighting he made some snarky comment and Ana told him that I wasn't there to protect her, I was there to protect others from her. Then she started laughing uncontrollably for like five minutes straight. She was almost sent to detention for disrupting the class."

Jonah smirks at the very apt comment Ana said about Jacob's role. If Michael had realized the truth he would have run as fast and far away from Ana as he could get. "So what do you want me to tell him?"

"Tell him sure, if he survives the entry level tests." Ana says still smirking and giggling.

Jacob stares at her, "You're going to give him the entry level tests?"

Ana smiles the smile that always means trouble. "Oh, yes, and he'll have to swear loyalty to me before he can see who Hawk is."

"Are you sure?" Jonah asks uncomfortable, it's when Ana is like this that Jonah really hates his job.

"He has to be oathed to me to know my identity or I'll have to kill him. I can't have him blabbing to everyone. Oh, and make sure that he's not hiding any other affiliations marks when giving him his test. If he carries Snakes mark kill him." Ana is no longer smiling. Snake has been busy trying to cut in on her territory and she's done with it. Damon's house is too open for her and she's beginning to think it's time to return home.

"Damon?" Ana says going out to the gazebo that night. Spring is always so iffy and she shivers in the jacket she's wearing.

"What is it Ana?" Damon says turning from his unseeing watch of the stars to face Ana.

"Snake is making it dangerous for me to remain. I'll need to leave soon. I think he's trying to get one of his guys into my group."

"Which group?" Damon asks pulling Ana next to him to give her more warmth.

"Hawk, if he does belong to Snake he won't last long. Hell, he requested to meet with me personally."

Damon looks at her puzzled. New recruits don't do that. "Did he tell Jonah why?"

"No, I gave Jonah instructions, but I'm not worried about him." Ana says disparagingly, "I could easily take him down. If you hadn't forbidden fights at school I would have."

"He's a high school student?" This pique's Damon's attention.

"Yeah, about as opposite of Trinity as you can get and yet he's still popular. He's such an ass."

"Ana, careful. Trinity was Hawk's son and was completely free from marks until you took over, remember? This kid could also be Snake's son although I didn't think he was that old. Have you researched him?"

"Yep, my hacker dug deep. We did find tampering on his info, so I'm not taking this lightly."

"I still don't like it. Maybe it would be better to have Trinity take your place in the limelight and you remain in the shadows. He's high enough rank that he can take and give the oaths." Damon smile, "and technically he is Hawk. Halcon means Hawk."

Ana smiles sourly, "Thanks, Damon, as if I didn't know that." Ana stops and takes a breath, "I was out of line on that, sorry."

"You're tensed up, Ana, what's wrong?"

"When school gets out, I think it will be better for me to return to my home. Your men are in danger with me staying here. My men are edgy because they feel that they can't protect me right, here. You should be fine as long as Snake concentrates on me."

"Ana, I've never cared what my men felt about you being here, you know that. I thought you were beginning to think of this as your home again." Damon is actually quite hurt that she still doesn't feel like this is home.

"It's not fair for me to put you in danger when me leaving will fix the problem." Ana gives Damon a smirk, "If you could give me Snake then I'd stay. Until he's dead being here puts you and those I care about here in danger."

"When were you planning on leaving?" Damon gives in. She gave him more time than he had expected.

"The day after my birthday, unless the situation changes."