10

"Damon, can we go to the zoo for my birthday? I've never been," Ana anxiously asks.

Damon looks over to his ward, he sets down his papers. Ana is the only one allowed to interrupt him when he's busy. The only time she isn't allowed to bother him is during meetings. "Of course if that is what you'd like to do." He looks at her in confusion though, she's gotten comfortable with him so he doesn't understand why she was so anxious asking for something so simple. 

"Why so anxious Little One?" Damon asks.

"I want Jackson and his family to come with us. I don't think any of his kids have seen the zoo either. And can we ride the train? I heard that there's a train there."

"Calm down Little One. Yes, Jackson and his family can come. It will actually be better if he does and his family coming will be good as well. And yes, there's a train and yes, we can ride it. It's your birthday Little One, we will do whatever you wish." Damon smiles at her, one of his rare real smiles, not one of his scary ones or fake ones.

Ana runs up to him and gives him a hug, "Thank you Damon. Do you think Jacob would like to come to?"

Damon gets a twinkle in his eyes, "I think both he and Calum would like to come." When necessary Calum acts as a big brother to Jacob. Their coloring and looks are similar even though they are no blood relation.

Ana's smile dims a bit at the mention of Calum. "If you think he's necessary."

Damon lifts Ana's chin up and makes her look him in the eyes, "He's not just my second, Ana, he's my body guard. I'd be taking him even if you hadn't requested Jacob."

"It's just he really doesn't like me. He hides it really well, but he doesn't like me even a little."

Ever since Ana had mentioned that before Damon has been watching Calum closely and he just doesn't see it.

Ana smiles bitterly, "I told you he hides it really well. You don't have to believe me Damon. He'll protect me because you wish it, but if he had a choice he'd kill me himself."

Damon looks at her startled. Perhaps Calum didn't like her but he certainly doesn't hate her that badly.

"I'm glad Jackson is my bodyguard and not Calum. Jackson will protect me without thought to his own life. Calum will do it begrudgingly. I'll leave you now, Damon, sorry to have bothered you." Ana goes out the door closing it softly behind her.

Damon watches the door long after Ana left. She is so sure that Calum hates her, he just doesn't understand why. But he trusts her. She is wise far beyond her years.

Damon makes the calls making sure that everyone knows about the plans for Ana's birthday. That's when he heard it, just a trace, the contempt that Calum has for Ana and hides so well.

The day at the zoo goes by fast. Ana loves the ride on the train and is thrilled that Damon rents it just for their group to go on.

For his part Damon is enchanted by her laughter and smile as they go about the zoo. It's the first time he's seen her or heard her laugh like a child.

He watches in pleasure as she bonds well with Jackson and his family. Jackson's family has taken to her like she was an older sister. Damon can see that it makes her happy.

Jackson is still confined to a wheelchair as his leg is healing and Damon takes the wheelchair and wheels it to the side. "Boss, is everything okay?"

Damon smiles as he watches Ana's interaction with Jackson's kids and the animals. "I regret nothing saving your life and that of your family. Seeing her smile and laugh so carefree is worth far more than I paid in medical expenses. What can I give you in return?"

Jackson is horrified, "I don't require or ask for anything else. My life and that of my family is yours. It is an honor to guard her."

"You don't understand, Jackson," Damon stops to think about how he wants to say this. "Ana, has suffered several traumatic things. She was sexually abused by her father and neighbor for years. Near starved by her parents and used as a bargaining chip with my father. 

"My father killed her mother in front of her eyes and then forced her to kill her own father. After being placed in foster care, her foster brother, the sheriff's son, nearly raped her with the sheriff standing there watching.

"She only just recently came out of her shock enough to talk to me and be released from the hospital a few weeks ago. About a week before we found you and your family. I've only had custody of her since then.

"She was so terrified of the judge that she couldn't even speak to him. She was visibly shaking when he requested to speak to her without me. The judge had to allow me to remain in the room in order to have her speak to him.

"Have you seen how she avoids Calum?" Damon waits until Jackson nods his head. Jackson in thoroughly horrified by what Ana has been through.

"She is convinced that Calum hates her. When I told her that we'd be bringing him as well she immediately lost her smile.

"I've never heard her laugh. She's never acted like a child her age should. She is wise beyond her years and for today she is acting like a child should. For that I can't thank you enough. Please, what would you like for a bonus?"

"What did your father do to her?" The old Phoenix was erratic and Hawk and his men knew that.

"He tried to burn her alive after her parents were dead. I couldn't let him do that so that's when I killed him. But by the time I was finished with my father the fire was blocking the stairs. Calum told me which room she was in and I was able to get her out. But she was in a coma from the smoke inhalation for some time and it affected her motor skills. She had just finished her physical therapy when we found you and your family." Damon answers him more fully than Jackson had thought he would.

"I have no wants or desires, boss. Let me talk to my wife and see what she thinks if that would be permitted?" Jackson says thoughtfully. He has seen how Ana takes to his family but had thought it was just because she didn't have parents or siblings.

"You do that, Jackson. I'll be waiting for your answer tomorrow morning." Damon wasn't going to let this go.

"Yes, boss," Jackson replies while Damon wheels the chair back to the others. Ana turns to them and gives them both a huge smile. She runs to Jackson and gives him a hug and then does the same to Damon only adding a kiss to his cheek as well.

Damon smiles down at her. This is how he always wants to see her.