20

Ana snuggles into Damon's arms as he carries her inside. He smiles softly as he looks down at her sleeping form. It was obvious that Ana enjoyed the day. He hasn't seen her smile or laugh like that for some time. He makes a note to himself to make time for more outings for her.

Calum meets him in the entry way. "How'd it go?"

"She was laughing and having fun. She insisted on sitting close to the orca tank during the show and we all got soaked. It was worth the inconvenience of being wet to hear her laughter though." Damon says looking down at the sleeping girl once more. Then he looks up at his second sharply, "How'd it go here?"

"Quiet. I haven't been able to find out anything more about the accident." Calum frowns and presses his lips together tightly.

Damon shifts Ana's weight in his arms as he pierces his second with a hard look. "We've received more threats from Hawk. I believe that they are totally unrelated to the other matter. He's made it clear that he knows about Ana. Some of the remarks are rather pointed about that."

Damon loses his contented look and fires of anger light up in his eyes. "You're sure that it's unrelated?"

"Not one hundred percent, but more like ninety-nine point nine percent. He sends commiserations that your newest pet was injured in the crash and wishes her a full recovery. He made it sound dirty Damon. That man is a pig and thinks that everyone else is as well."

"He thinks I'm sleeping with her?" Damon asks in outrage.

"That's the innuendo he was conveying, yes." Calum lets the disgust he feels at that come out.

"I'll kill him," Damon says softly and Calum shivers. This is the deadly Damon. 

"You are evenly matched men wise. We don't have enough men to attack Hawk directly." Calum reminds him.

"He'll come to me. The man is nearly as stupid as my father was erratic."

"So what do you want us to do?"

"Keep the men alert. Hawk isn't patient either. Dammit! I have a fucking date tomorrow. That's when he's likely to strike. I can't get out of it either, it's one of those pointless social things. I hate those mixers or cocktail gatherings or whatever they are called."

Calum presses his lips down, that is the likely time for Hawk to attack. "Make sure Jacob stays with Ana, no matter what happens he's to get her out of here. Jackson is to keep Hawk's men as far away from her as possible."

"Yes, sir," Calum goes to tell the others what is likely to happen and make arrangements.

"Damon, are you going to be late tonight?" Ana asks watching as Damon finishes getting ready. She thinks he looks very fine in his tuxedo.

"Possibly." Damon says giving himself the once over one last time in his full length mirror and straightening his jacket.

"You going to bring your date here?"

Ana's question gets Damon's undivided attention. "Again possibly, depends on how bored I get at the party."

"I'll shut my door then," Ana says pouting.

"Ana, do you mind when I bring girls here?" Damon asks curiously. It's never seemed to bother her before.

"I know why you do it, Damon."

"And why is that Little One?"

"You need to fu-"

"That's enough, Ana. Yes, I have needs. I'll open the door when she leaves," Damon kneels before her and takes her hands in his. "Okay?"