36

The ride starts out awkwardly, Damon had treated Ana so harshly and hurt her. "I'm sorry, Ana. I know I already apologized, but I really fucked up this time. You've never lied to me and I doubted you over the bint. I had promised you that I would never do that and I did."

"Words are easy to say, broken trust not so easy to regain. Damon, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to trust you again. I can forgive, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen. It did and it can't be undone. We've both done things in the past we'd undo if we could." Ana angrily wipes the tears that fall down her cheek away.

"I know, words can't fix this, not this time. Then I screwed up again almost immediately after getting you to agree to remain. Thank you for not returning to your room and begin packing once more."

Ana snorts, "I'd hope that I was old enough to not take each little insult as a reason to leave. You know that I love you, Damon, I don't want to leave. It's only when you act like an ass and show me that you don't want me here that I start packing."

Damon is silent and thinks about her words. But her next ones almost make him crash the car, "Why does Jacob think that I belong to you and that you'd kill Trinity for kissing me?"

"Ana," Damon starts in a soft warning voice.

"Don't you 'Ana' me, answer the question." Ana's voice gets cold and hard.

"You are mine, Ana. I don't share with others what is mine." Damon finally answers and isn't expecting the knife to be held at his throat by Ana. Nor does he expect the anger that she holds.

"I am my own. Not yours, not Trinity's, not anybody's. You need to understand that right now, Damon. Perhaps I am only eleven, but I know enough to know that."

Damon has managed to pull the car over into a parking spot and holds his hands up in surrender. The pressure of the knife doesn't let up though.

Damon swallows hard and manages to make it possible for him to speak, "I apologize. I hadn't meant any disrespect on claiming you. You have no idea just what you mean to me, Ana.

"Should we proceed or should I have Jackson come and get you?" Damon asks, he hides how he feels, but he's close to tears at this moment. He hasn't been able to do much right with Ana since the school year started.

Ana eases up on the pressure and returns her knife to where she keeps it. "I guess that depends on you, Damon. Are you going to be the person that took me in, or are you going to be the asshat that you've become? Because if you are going to be the asshat then there is no reason to continue this charade." She turns her head to the window to hide her own feelings from Damon.

"I haven't done much right lately, have I?" Damon whispers in the silence of the car. At least Ana had pulled the knife on him after they arrived at the restaurant that he'd planned on taking Ana to.

"No, you haven't. But that's okay, we all act like asshat's at times. My question to you is, are you done being the asshat and are now going to be the big, bad, scary mafia leader that you are?" Ana says and Damon hears just a trace of tears in her voice.

Damon smirks, "Big and bad, huh. I don't know about that, you are the one that has everyone terrified of you."

"Only because they've forgotten. Calum told me a bit of your history." Ana says and turns to see Damon stiffen at her words.

"What did he tell you?" Damon could only whisper the words.

"He explained why when you said that you are a bad man that you weren't joking. The reason the men were terrified of me leaving, more so than hating me remaining. How since I've come onto the scene you've calmed down, you aren't the dark, evil person you were before me."

"It seems you've won more of Calum's loyalty than I've thought." Damon sits there calming down his temper. "Perhaps it will be better for me to call Jackson to come and get you."

"So you are going to run and hide from me. Very well, go ahead and call him." Ana has had it with how Damon has been acting towards her lately. It had started out small after she became Hawk, but it has been growing and snowballing into something she can't tolerate any more.

"And for your information, I was having a hard time. It's because of what Calum told me that I remained for as long as I have. He did it to help you, not to betray you in anyway." Ana tries to open her door to storm out of the car and wait inside the diner Damon had intended for them to go to for dinner. Damon wouldn't release the locks on the door though and so she couldn't leave the car.

"If you remain and have dinner with me I will tell you about why I am so dark. Then you can tell me if Calum had told you everything."

"He hadn't, he only told me some of it. He said that if you want me to know about it then you will tell me yourself." Ana says huffily and crosses her arms, very like any other girl her age would do when vexed by their companion.

"Well, Ana? Do we go in and eat, I'll tell you my story there if you wish." Damon wheedles the precocious eleven year old.

"You'll tell me why you never talk about your mother?" Ana asks her anger slipping and her normal curiosity taking over.

Defeated Damon nods, "I'll tell you everything you wish to know."

"Won't that be too dangerous in such a public place?" Ana asks even more curious now.

Damon smirks, "You know one day your curiosity is going to get you killed Ana. The place is public, yes, but if we are quiet and we use a little device I have with me it will be fine."

Damon releases the locks and Ana eagerly jumps out of the car and waits for Damon to join her on the sidewalk. The waitress knows them both and is quick to make sure they have menus and water. She knows better than to bother them and allows them plenty of time to decide what they want.

Once the waitress takes their order she retreats a safe distance to wait for their order to come up. Once it does she makes sure that she takes it over to them and they are satisfied before retreating as fast as she can. She is the only waitress allowed to serve them, she works for Damon and knows to not snoop in his business. And as for Ana, she is terrified of that blue eyed devil child.