45

Damon is careful as he makes his way over to Ana. Once there he can't resist and pulls Ana into a hug. Ana allows it for a short time and even briefly returns it, then she pulls her knife on him to get him to release her.

"You're wasting time here, Damon."

"I should have talked to you before you came down Christmas and were broadsided. I just didn't know how to tell you."

Ana looks at him in disgust, "So you took the cowards way out and didn't tell me anything."

"You're right Ana, it was the cowards way out and it cost me and it still is costing me. I lost the only thing I ever truly valued because of that mistake, but at the time I thought it was the better way to go." Damon lets the pain of the loss show in his words. Ana hides her reaction and Damon has no idea if Ana will even continue listening.

In hopes that she will he continues, "I had a tip about the mafia that's trying to horn in on our territory and Jenny was somehow linked to it. So I devised a way to keep Jenny close to me. I was going along the lines of keep your friends close and your enemies closer there, but I miscalculated badly.

"The tip is valid, Jenny's father is knee deep in crooked dealings and the man, I found out his groups name is snake. An apt name for his group. Snake had started dating Jenny, she hadn't talked about me or you at that point, but if I allowed it to go unchecked she very likely would. But Jenny wouldn't start dating me unless she lived there part time. Her father didn't seem to see anything wrong with that arrangement. That says a lot about him as a father.

"She didn't give me  much time to talk to you or even decide. I screwed up and took her on her terms and didn't tell you about it, letting you find out the most cruel way possible. I know it doesn't make up for fucking up, Ana, but I am sorry. In that moment I lost everything. I saw it in your eyes when you saw her there with me. From that moment on you wouldn't look at me, talk to me or allow me near you unless absolutely necessary.

"It wasn't worth it, but there is information I can give you. Snake is allied with someone from Europe. It is that person from Europe that caused the car accident that nearly killed you. He did it in hopes of taking me out. I was the target and if I wasn't killed or hurt at least it was a warning. Now you are the target and they will come after me when they take you out. Or at least try to take you out.

"I know you don't wish to come back, but I'm asking you once more to at least consider it. With Hawk's men and mine we both have a better chance." Damon finishes and waits, at least she allowed him to say his piece  before shutting him down.

"Phoenix headquarters is too open and well known. You hold a known spy for the enemy that holds vital information about my identity there. Your men have never liked me, tolerated me and preferred me to you being this monster, but at best I was only tolerated. My men I trust, although it looks like I'll need to go through them again and search for the traitor.

"What are you talking about?" Damon asks confused.

"Better take cover Damon and tell your men to do the same. We have about five minutes before we have company."

"Shit!" Damon lets out as he races for his men to tell them what is happening. They scatter even as Damon watches Trinity pull Ana into cover.

He notices Ana's smile and he shivers at what it means.

"Damon, if I kill that bastard I will have a deal for you. What do you say?"

"Talk to me when this is over, but I'll listen." Whatever deal Ana might have he doesn't even want to guess. If she kills Spider it's going to be messy. At least his maids won't have to deal with the mess this time.