Chapter 49

"But every house where Love abides,

And Friendship is a guest,

Is surely home, and home-sweet-home:

For there the heart can rest."

--Henry Van Dyke, "A Home Song"

Mary excitedly trudged across the snow, walking as fast as she could. She glanced around, watching as children happily played in the snow, families spoke fondly to each other, and bells rang throughout the air. 

What a wonderful Christmas, she thought. But it wasn't over yet. She couldn't wait to see what her mother thought of their new house once they arrived there.

For now, Mary was rushing back into her old neighborhood. As she passed the old cottages, she realized it would be one of her last times here. Her heart sank for a moment. As much as she longed to see her new home and live in a nicer place, the neighborhood had been where she had brought up and had shaped her into the person she was today.

She pulled her coat closer and continued on her way, waving to the neighbors. Even the boys who had bullied her that one time were waving fondly, wishing her a merry Christmas.

Her cottage was just ahead. With joy in her heart, she began running. "MOM! MOM!" she shouted loudly.

Her mother was sitting on the porch, looking both exhausted and nervous. At the sight of Mary, her eyes lit up, and she rushed down from the porch.

"MARY!" she cried. She reached down and swung her daughter around, setting her back down on the ground. Mary giggled and hugged her mother tight.

Her mother planted kisses in her hair and cried softly.

"I thought something had happened to you," she confessed. "When you didn't come home..."

"I was fine. Better than fine, actually."

"But the Ice Nymphs. They didn't harm you?" her mother questioned.

Mary shook her head. "Santa Claus saved us."

Her mother grinned. "I heard there were rumors going around."

"It's true," Mary promised. "He does exist. I know so. I'm friends with his son, Chris."

Her mother's grin grew bigger. "I always knew he was real," she spoke quietly. "There were some presents left here last night, you know."

"There's even more presents though," Mary told her. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a silver key. "We have a new house...in town."

Her mother's eyes widened. "No, dear. We couldn't afford--"

"It's another gift from Santa. He's invited us to dinner tonight, and he wants to discuss a better job for you. But for now, the house is ours."

Her mother took in a deep breath of air, tears coming to her eyes. "Is this true?"

Mary nodded. "We need to grab our things and head over there!"

"What about all the furniture?" her mother questioned.

Mary shook her head. "Let's just grab our clothes and essentials. That old furniture can stay and rot."

Her mother laughed. "All right. Let's do it."

They spent the rest of the morning packing their things. There wasn't much to pack, though Mary took her time. She glanced around the cottage, at the place she had grown up. Despite its cracked walls and cold atmosphere, she would miss it some.

When their bags were packed, she led her mother away from their old home back into town where festivities were still taking place. They turned off one way into a nice set of homes. Following the instructions Santa had given her, Mary steered the way through the neighborhood until they stopped at a tall, brick townhouse.

Her mother sucked in a deep breath and Mary did the same.

"This...is ours?" her mother realized.

Mary shook her head.

"I've never lived in a house so big," she said. They took their things up the porch, and her mother placed the key inside the door. She twisted the key and turned the knob. Both of them gasped.

The house was fully furnished with a nice fire already going in the fireplace. Fine couches sat on the ground, a stocked and clean kitchen to the side. There were paintings and vases and bright windows.

"Stairs!" Mary realized, taking a step inside.

There was more than one floor as well. Mary threw her things down and raced upstairs to find a hallway with a few bedrooms. There was a master bedroom with a grand bed and large bathroom, which Mary assumed would suit her mother.

She came out and went down the hall, passing another bathroom and a room filled with couches and desks. At the end of the hall, she glanced inside and found another larger bedroom.

There was a nice queen bed, another fireplace, bookshelves, a chair...Mary had never seen a room so fine!

"Mary, have you seen the rooms?!" her mother shrieked.

Mary nodded, tears streaming down her cheeks. Never had she imagined a miracle to come true like this. She opened up a drawer and found new sets of clothes inside. She gasped and found the same in the closet.

She threw herself on her bed and collapsed, laughing. It truly was the best Christmas ever.