Chapter 42

"Snow: 

years of anger following 

hours that float idly down —"

--William Carlos Williams, "Blizzard"

Mary wandered around town on Christmas Eve night, more joyous than ever. Her hand was interlaced with her mother's as they wandered the nighttime streets. They couldn't afford to buy anything, but it was nice to window shop at least.

Mary wished she could've seen Chris or Ruby. She knew Chris was busy though preparing for Christmas Eve. Ruby had been shut in her room all day, claiming to be sick.

The poor thing, Mary thought. No one wants to be sick on Christmas. 

Now that Mary's shift had ended, she was thrilled to spend some quality time with her mother. Since Mary had taken a job, it seemed that she had spent less and less time with her. 

Mary glanced up at her mother and grinned while her mother returned a warm smile.

"Look here!" Mary called, rushing to a clear window that held a towering Christmas tree, full of bright ornaments and twinkling lights.

"It's much grander than ours, isn't it?" her mother thought.

Mary nodded, thinking of their small tree at home that had a good three ornaments on it. She let out a yawn, closing her eyes as she listened to the carolers.

"Getting tired, sweetie?" her mother asked.

"No," Mary lied.

"We should probably be heading back. I'm sure Santa will be coming soon," her mother told her, winking. Mary grinned, excited to open presents the following morning. She only got one or two, but it meant a lot.

The breeze had started picking up, and some clouds were rolling in.

"Pity the weather's taking a turn," her mother pointed out. "If anything, it's more of a call to go home and get warm."

Mary nodded, feeling odd about the incoming clouds. They were unlike ones she had ever seen, and it had surprised her how quickly the weather had changed.

Nevertheless, their festivities came to an end, and they began the trek back to their home. The other neighborhood kids were playing outside their cottages, pointing out the few stars left in the sky and making Christmas wishes.

It was the one time of year the other kids didn't seem to tease Mary, and they said their hellos as she walked by. She let out a larger yawn this time, craving sleep.

Eventually, they came to their small cottage. Her mother lit candles and started the fireplace while Mary took off her coat and got changed into more comfortable clothes.

"Tea?" her mother asked as she poured some for herself.

Mary nodded and took a seat by the fireplace, sipping her warm tea.

"And I have a surprise," her mother whispered into her ear. She rummaged through some cabinets until she pulled out a small yule log cake.

"Cake?!" Mary exclaimed, never having been treated to such a luxury before.

"The company provided us with some," her mother explained. "It looks delicious, don't you think? Why don't we have some tonight?"

"Just a small piece," Mary proposed. "Then we can stuff the rest down tomorrow."

"Great idea," her mother responded.

She cut them both a small slice of cake. Mary sunk her fork into it and grinned. It tasted delightful. She only wished she could have something like this every year.

She stuck her fork in for another bite when the wind howled rapidly against the windows and walls. Mary tilted her head.

"Must be a large storm," her mother thought.

Mary became anxious, wondering if Santa would have difficulty delivering presents now. The wind let out another large howl. Mary approached the window, noting how dark it had become. In fact, she could not even see the town from the window, like she normally could.

"Is the power out?" her mother asked.

The wind shook the walls of the home, this time knocking out a few candles, and lowering the fire.

"Something's not right," Mary muttered.

"It's just a storm," her mother assured her.

But Mary wasn't a child anymore. She knew when there were larger threats. This seemed like more than a storm. It seemed more like a powerful and dark force.

Mary set her cake down and grabbed her coat.

"Mary, what are you doing?" her mother asked.

"I need to investigate. My friends are out there. Something's not right. I can sense it," Mary told her mother.

"You are staying right here, where it's safe," her mother said sternly.

Mary turned and faced her mother. "I'm not a child anymore. You know as well as I do. I got a job this year to help pay for what we have. I know we have little. That's why we work together. We always have. You've never treated me like a child before, so why now? Something is wrong, and my friends could be in danger. They're one of the few friends I have."

"But, I don't want you getting hurt," her mother whimpered.

"You know I'm stronger than that. You stay here and guard the house, okay? I know town well. I'll go investigate and come right back, okay?" she promised.

"Don't be gone too long," her mother whispered.

Mary nodded and grabbed her coat. She stepped outside into the cold storm, watching as sheets of snow and ice erupted in the distance.

"The Ice Nymphs," she whimpered, only hearing stories. She'd heard that they were notorious for kidnappings and sometimes murder in the past. The threats had gone down since then, and whenever they did come, Mary was always far away and safe.

She shivered, knowing Mary and Chris were out there. She pulled her coat tight and broke off in a sprint, determined to find her friends.