Chapter 16

The feast will be like Hamlet

Without a Hamlet part:

The home is but a house, dear,

Till you supply the heart.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox, "A Holiday"

Mary's eyes flew open with excitement. She slowly pushed away the worn blankets keeping her warm, exposing herself to the coldness of her and her mother's cottage. Her mother was still laying on her side fast asleep, her breaths quiet and slow.

Mary quickly arose and lit some candles. She then started the fire and placed the teapot on the kettle, waiting for her mother to arise. Tonight Ruby would be coming over for dinner!

Mary had been excited all week and had frankly been surprised that Ruby had even accepted her offer. Ruby wasn't the easiest person to approach. Mary had been surprised the girl had taken any interest in her at all.

It doesn't matter how our friendship came to be. I have a friend now, Mary reminded herself.

The kettle began to scream, and Mary quickly removed it and poured two cups of tea. The loud screech had caused her mother to awake, and she silently rose and wiped the sleep from her eyes.

"Good morning. Here's some tea," Mary said, handing her mother the warm cup.

Her mother graciously accepted the tea and took slow and small sips.

"Are you ready for tonight?" Mary asked.

Her mother nodded. 

"I've already asked my boss if it's all right if I leave early. I've saved up as much as I could for a good meal tonight," her mother explained.

Mary squealed quietly. "Oh, thank you, Mother! You don't know how much this means to me! I can't wait for Ruby to meet you. I'm sure she'll love you."

"I hope so, too, dear," her mother replied, gently patting her shoulder. "But I've got to get ready for work now. Shouldn't you as well?"

"Oh, you're right!" Mary exclaimed, almost forgetting about her job at the inn. She rushed to get dressed and left with her mother out the front door of their home. Both parted their separate ways, knowing that when they next met a meal and a friend would be waiting.

By the time Mary had gotten to the inn, Ruby had already left. Mary was disheartened slightly, but she knew Ruby could not have forgotten about the offer. Even if she did, Mary would wait outside the bakery for her once the day was done.

The day went by as slowly as possible. Mary did her best to try to focus on her work, but all she could think about was trying to impress Ruby. She hoped Ruby wouldn't be turned away by Mary's home or the contents of the meal. She knew she and her mother could not offer much, but did it really matter?

After what seemed like ages, it was time to turn in for the day. Mary rushed to change out of her uniform and gather her things together. Running down the lobby, Carrie let out a little squeal.

"No running in the hallways!"

"Sorry, Carrie," Mary panted. "In a rush."

"Well, don't forget your pay," Carrie replied, pushing a stack of coins and bills toward her. Mary quickly collected the money and said her thanks, throwing the door open and stepping out into the cold night.