Chapter 38

My soul is like the oar that momently

Dies in a desperate stress beneath the wave,

Then glitters out again and sweeps the sea:

Each second I'm new-born from some new grave

--Sidney Lanier, "Struggle"

Mary rubbed down Ruby's table and cabinets with a clean wipe, wondering why Ruby had been in such a rush this morning and had left such a mess for her. She shrugged and continued on working.

She had been working on Ruby's room for hours. Mary was a bit shocked; Ruby had never left such a mess before. It was Mary's job to clean, but still, she had expected a little more respect from her best friend.

Finally, the room was complete, and Mary left Ruby's room behind and went down the hallway with her supplies. It was getting into evening, and she would be heading home soon.

The front door of the inn suddenly opened to reveal Ruby standing there. Her hair had become tangled in the wind, her cheeks were red, she appeared out of breath, and her eyes were widened.

"Ruby?" Mary asked.

Ruby glanced at her. "Oh...um...hi, Mary."

"Are you okay?" Mary asked.

Ruby quickly moved past her. Her hand was underneath her large coat, as if she were holding something.

"I'm fine!" she called.

Mary watched in confusion as Ruby rushed away and disappeared into the long hallway. 

Something's not right, Mary thought.

As Mary put her supplies away and changed back into her normal clothes, she wondered if it might be best to go check up on Ruby. The girl had been acting strange for some time, and Mary had dismissed it for too long.

She marched up to Ruby's room and knocked on the door.

"Ruby!" she called.

There was a pause, and a few moments later, the door opened. Ruby still stood there in her snow clothes, looking exhausted.

"Huh? What?" she asked.

"I-I just wanted to talk to you. I haven't seen you all day," Mary explained.

Ruby glanced down. "Oh...just a second," she murmured.

The door was abruptly slammed into Mary's face. She tapped her foot impatiently until the door opened again.

"Come in," Ruby called. Her coat was off now, and she had even put a pot on the stove of hot water.

"What were you so busy doing today?" Mary asked.

"Uh...just walking around town," Ruby responded.

"Well, you left quite a mess," Mary complained.

"Hot cocoa?" Ruby asked as the kettle began to steam.

"You're not listening to me."

"I know. I'm sorry. It was a big mess. I won't do it again," Ruby promised. Mary eyed her with suspicion as she poured two cups of cocoa and handed one to Mary.

"I hope the stress of Christmas isn't getting to you. You've been acting off lately," Mary said, taking a sip of cocoa.

"Just nervous for my family to come, I guess," Ruby stated.

"When are they coming?" Mary asked. "It's only a couple of days until Christmas."

"They'll be here soon. I'm sure," Ruby said, taking a sip of cocoa.

"Are they really coming?" Mary asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Nevermind," Mary stated. There was a moment of silence between them, then Ruby spoke up again.

"Hey, the bakery is having less hours now that it's closer to Christmas. Why don't you come over one day, and we can make cookies. Chris too," she suggested.

"Really? That'd be fun!" Mary exclaimed. She paused, knowing this was another way to change the subject.

"Is everything okay?" Mary asked.

"What do you mean?" Ruby asked again, taking a sip of cocoa.

"You've been acting off lately...avoiding people. You and Chris have been acting really weird," Mary noted. She watched as Ruby's cheeks burned a deep red.

"It's Christmas stress, that's all. So you'll come make cookies?"

"Sure," Mary responded, setting her empty mug down. "I better go home now."

"See you," Ruby responded.

She escorted Mary out and left her alone again in the empty hallway. As Mary pulled on her coat, she couldn't help but think that Ruby wasn't telling her something.