Chapter 21

"One never knows

How far a word of kindness goes;

One never sees

How far a smile of friendship flees."

--Edgar Albert Guest, "Kindness"

Ruby's comments about Mary had remained in Chris' mind for quite some time. He felt bad for the young girl and had a growing longing to help. He supposed he understood why Mary opposed him now. He represented all that she hated—rich, spoiled, satisfied.

After thinking it over, he decided that it couldn't hurt to help her out a little, even if he tried to do it in a small way. He had spoken to Ruby one day at the bakery and had suggested putting together a little care package for her. Ruby was ecstatic and agreed, and they had almost completed it. Soon, Mary would get a lovely early Christmas present.

In addition, he already had bought three tickets for the upcoming ice hockey game and planned to invite Ruby and Mary. He was sure Mary had never been to a hockey game before, and he hoped the act would be somewhat like a peace treaty between them.

Twinkles, however, was not pleased by this idea. The elf had been nagging Chris about telling his parents about the two girls for days, though Chris had been putting it off. He knew it wouldn't be long now before Twinkles spilled the beans himself. Chris just hoped he could find a way to keep the elf from doing it, even if it meant shoving his face with caramels and sticky sweets to keep his mouth shut.

On the morning of the hockey game, Chris sat down at his kitchen table, planning to greet Mary and Ruby at the inn. His father was happily sipping his hot chocolate while his mother ate a bowl of fruit and rubbed her swollen stomach.

"What are the plans for today?"his father asked, knowing Chris had decided to go out into town.

"We're going to an ice hockey game," Chris explained.

His father chuckled. "I'm sure Twinkles will enjoy that."

Chris laughed nervously and agreed, jumping at the sound of a knock at the door. 

"Come in!" his father grumbled.

The door opened to reveal Twinkles, a sour expression on his face.

"Good morning, Twinkles,"Chris' mother spoke softly.

"Morning, morning," he murmured.

"Is everything all right, Twinkles?" Chris' father asked.

Chris' palms began to sweat, and he slowly put down his fork.

"I better go get my coat..."

Twinkles cleared his throat and stared at Chris. His parents turned both of their expressions toward him.

"What?" Chris asked innocently.

Twinkles' eyes narrowed even further.

"Oh, that's right!" Chris exclaimed, trying to quickly dismiss the matter. "Twinkles was concerned that I had talked to a few kids my age in town, but you should know it's only just small chat...nothing important."

Both of his parents seemed surprised, but not upset.

"Well, if that's all."