Chapter 19

A Secret told --

Ceases to be a Secret -- then --

A Secret -- kept --

That -- can appall but One --

-- Emily Dickinson, "A Secret Told"

Mary emerged from the restroom to find Ruby had gone. She sighed and glanced around, embarrassed to be seen in the café that she had fled from earlier. She knew Ruby was only being kind inviting her along, but she knew the general opinion of those who lived in her area, and the last thing she wanted was more attention.

Better get going, Mary told herself, ready to go back to her home and away from the gazing eyes of society.

As she turned the corner and headed to the door, she noticed Chris was still present. She let out a groan and rolled her eyes. The boy annoyed her, and she didn't like his intentions onRuby. She was sure the boy liked her greatly, and honestly, she had no other reason to hate him besides that she felt he would take her place.

Chris had been kind to her. He had offered to buy her a new jacket, invited her to the ball, and so forth. ButMary felt jealousy stirring up inside of her, and she was frightened that she would soon lose her only friend.

Chris was talking to the small child next to him. Mary still found it odd that Chris had failed to introduce the child, only referring to him as his cousin. And why was it that the child was always with Chris? It seemed like Chris was rarely without him.

Mary passed by, ready to leave and return home, when she caught a bit of Chris and the child's conversation.

"Tonight. You must tell them tonight," she heard the quiet shrill voice of the child.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll get to it. I told you."

Mary paused for a moment and glanced around. For once, no eyes appeared to be on her, and she decided to linger a few more moments to see if she could catch more of their odd conversation. She slipped on the other side of a tall plant and pressed her back against it, struggling to hear more of their conversation.

"This is dangerous. Now you know two people. Your parents will be displeased. If they found out--"

"Hush! They won't," she heard Chris hiss. She heard the sound of a faint thud and assumed he had hit the child lightly to hush him.

How rude, Mary thought, but she was curious as to what Chris was so concerned about concealing. She had assumed him to be a normal boy from the northern region of town. Was there another part to his story she didn't know?

"Come on. Let's go," Chris muttered. Mary watched as they passed by her and headed out the door.

She took a deep breath, secretly thrilled her suspicions were correct. Chris wasn't the perfect boy she had supposed him to be. He seemed to be hiding something too.

Her heart pounded with this newfound idea, and she suddenly no longer had the urge to return home.

I have to find Ruby, she decided. 

She slipped out of the café and ran through the snow, adrenaline coursing through her veins. She pushed aside crowds, her feet carrying her as fast as they could. If she was fast enough, she could catch Ruby right as she came toward the inn.