Chapter 37

"Who knows what intimacies our eyes may shout,

What evident secrets daily foreheads flaunt,

What panes of glass conceal our beating hearts?"

--A.S.J. Tessimond, "Betrayal"

Ruby turned the key she had stolen around in her hand, feeling the coldness of the medal. Guilt filled her each time she turned it, but time was running out, and the mission had to be completed. She could no longer live under the Ice King's rule. And even if she failed, she was sure her life would not be spared for disappointing him,

A knock sounded at the door, and Ruby immediately placed the key in her pocket.

"Come in," she called.

Mary entered a moment later, wearing her traditional maid garments. Her eyes widened to see the mess that Ruby had left around the room.

"You really made a mess in here, huh?" Mary wondered. The room was littered with clothes, dirty dishes, messy sheets, and so forth.

Ruby had purposely left a mess, not wanting Mary to find out of her secret plans with Chris. While Ruby was excited to visit Chris, this mission was much more meaningful. She needed to figure out how to steal the magic and break the barrier surrounding the town.

"Darn. I was going to see if you wanted to do something after work," Mary admitted, beginning to move some of Ruby's things aside.

"That's all right. I've got...some things to do anyway," she said, standing up and moving toward the door.

"What are you doing?" Mary asked.

"Uh...bakery stuff. Sorry for the mess. Gotta go!" Ruby called, quickly rushing out of her room. She bounded down the hallway and out into the cold winter snow.

She had assured Chris she did not need an escort. She'd been paying careful attention of how to get to Santa's Village after she had first gone there, and she confidently could find the way herself now.

Feeling the key in her pocket, she moved out of town and into the woods, remembering what each rock and tree signified in position to Santa's Village.

At first, she was nervous she would get lost, but the landmarks became familiar, and after what felt like an eternity walking, she came to the hill that Chris had once brought them to. Heaving her heavy legs up the hill, she looked down below and rushed down. 

Chris had claimed he would be meeting her at the entrance. As she came down below to the hustling village, Chris stood where he promised, waiting for her. He stood in his coat with his hands in his pockets, huffing air and glancing down at the ground. 

As Ruby approached, he looked up and smiled. Ruby realized he must've been outside for a while, for his cheeks were blushed from the snow, and his skin was paler than normal.

"Sorry it took so long. But I'm here," she said.

"I'm glad you here," he replied, smiling. "It's been a bit crazy here. I need a break."

"Glad I could oblige," she said. 

He reached out his hand for her to take it, and without hesitation, she grabbed it as he led her further into the village.

"What's the plan?" she asked.

"Not much. I thought we'd chill for a little while. Everything's so packed right now."

He led her back to his comfy home. The house was quiet inside except for the crackling fire.

"Where is everyone?" Ruby asked.