thirty eight

unedited

Happiness hit her, like a train on a track

Coming towards her, stuck still no turning back

"Honey one more picture!"

"Mom that's what you said five minutes ago."

She snaps another photo making me smile. I love her. I know today means a lot to her, as it does to me so I agree to take more pictures. I smile for each one.

"How about we take a family photo instead?" She nods and calls for Abdul.

We invited him and his family for lunch and pictures. Our families instantly got along well, Jamie played with Zainaab and thankfully his two brothers kept a safe distance from me. I still didn't trust Issar after my first encounter with him, when he wouldn't stop looking at my chest. I think his mother or Abdul must have said something to him, he hasn't acknowledged me the entire day. I'm grateful for it.

Abdul comes jogging wearing the same royal blue cap and gown as me, the only difference is that I'm wearing a gold cord for graduating with honors. I love how the color compliments his skin perfectly, really anything he wears does.

"Abdul, can I get a few pictures of you and Ava please?" She winks my way. Abdul sees the interaction and smiles.

Thanks mom.

"You okay with this?" He whispers as he stands beside me. I nod and we both smile into the camera. "How about this?" He wraps his arms around my waist and rests his head on my shoulder. "You okay Hurricane?"

"Perfect," I whisper.

Everyone murmurs how cute we are as our moms take multiple pictures of us. I smile in each photograph, there is no doubt in my mind that I will be blushing in most of them. I look up at Abdul for a moment. I admire his smile and how handsome he looks but most of all how aside from everything he said and believed he's graduating. He didn't believe he could do it yet here he is standing next to me. It's an incredible achievement, I couldn't be prouder of him.

"Let's go get something to drink Camille. We can finish taking pictures later," Abdul's mom says. I know what they're doing but I don't say anything. I'm thankful for a few minutes alone with Abdul and I know he is too.

He looks down at me and touches my cheek. "I think green is my new favorite color."

"Is that so? I always thought it was black."

"You know what they say, green eyes," he sings the last part softly.

I love him.

"What do they say pretty brown eyes," I sing back. He smiles.

We're in a good place right now but it's evident something is missing. We haven't spoken about us, he says he wants to give me time after everything that has happened. He still holds my hand, plays with my hair and asks if he can kiss me before kissing my cheek. He's always been attentive, kind and gentle but I love how he's taking his time with me, letting us go at a pace I'm comfortable with.

He's here whenever I need him. We call each other most night before going to bed, it used to be every night but Blake kept complaining that I should speak to both my best friends. Some nights I read to Abdul or he will tell me a story to help me fall asleep. He sometimes brings me new books to read or movies to watch whenever he comes over. We have been spending more time together along with my family and of course Blake. I don't know if we're still together, but even if we're not I'm thankful just to have him in my life.