ten

Dedicating this chapter to @ginawriter her stories Always There and Mind and Matter are a must read. 

I can't promise a miracle

But I'll always be trying

Edited

     Since Blake was discharge from the hospital last week, we decided to start on the volunteer work I needed to do. Yesterday, Blake took me to an art studio owned by one of her neighbors. Pascale Jung opened the art studio after her husband was diagnosed with choroidal melanomas six years ago. After he lost his eyesight the tumors began to spread to other parts of his body, which lead to his death two years ago. The program is to help anyone suffering from the disease, as well as the blind and to help raise money and awareness.

     We spend the day with six young children, all of them wore dark, black glasses like Blake when I first saw them. All of them lost their sight from either a tragic accident or a sickness. Blake knew most of the children and helped each of them in their painting while I stayed with a young girl. She asked me if I could help her make a castle like the one in Disney World since she never been and it has always been here dream to go. At first, I guided her hand through it, but soon after she was doing it on her own only asking me for help with what colors she should use. At one point, she asked if I could make her a princess, yet when I answer that it would look more like a stick figure she said Minnie and Mickey we would be fine. I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed myself and even promised to return the next day.

     Today we're going to the art studio again, I wanted to take Jamie but he had soccer practice. Blake begged me to ask my mom if she could make something for us and the children today, she was more than happy when I told her that my mom already planned on baking croissants with chocolate for all of us.

   "Honey here you go. I also packed you two bottles of lemonade for you and Blake." My mom hands me my small backpack and kisses my cheek.

   "Thank you, mom, I'm sure Blake and the children will love it."

   "When do I get to meet her?"

   "Mom this only my fourth time seeing her, give it time."

   "I know Ava, I'm just happy you made a friend." She moves a strand of hair behind my ear.

   "I promise in a couple of weeks I will." She smiles and kisses my forehead.

  "Te amo, have fun Ava." I love you too mom and thank you.

**

     I walk inside the art studio, and let my eyes admire the murals I saw yesterday. The one at the far end of the room covers the whole wall. It's a view of a rain forest with trees covered with leaves and colorful flowers. A few animals sit on the branches while there are others on the ground and a few in the sky. There's even a waterfall in the corner and a bright sunset behind it. The one behind me, by the doors, is of individuals, young and old doing something art related. There is an elderly lady painting on a canvas, a young boy drawing underneath a tree and a girl who looks around my age molding a piece of clay. My eyes continue to wander around the room until they land on Blake. Her hair is up in a braid around her head, looking like a halo. She's taking to Pascale, who's a lot shorter compared to Blake and me.

   "Hey."

   "Ava, you made it!" Blake turns around wrapping her arms around my torso. I'm still not used to this sort of affection, but I still hug her back.