~ 5 ~

The drive to Rhode Island is approximately four hours. It would be more time efficient to take the plane there but my father is a strong believer that driving is the best way for sight seeing.

My dad does have a point. Driving along the coast, getting the spectacular view of the pacific ocean is definitely a sight to behold. If we took a plane, the sight from the plane window would definitely not be able to compete with the sight I'm looking at now.

It makes me wonder just how many shades of blue does the ocean really have?

"Enjoying the view, Zada?" My father asks over his shoulder, not allowing his gaze to avert from the steering wheel.

I slump down against the warm, smooth surface of my parents Audi Q5 black leather seats. "It's the same scenery I've been seeing for years, dad."

You would think that maybe, after driving to our cabin for more than ten years, my father would finally decide to take a flight there but no such luck. He is a stubborn man, once he sets his mind on something, there is no stopping him.

I get that annoying trait from him.

"But it never gets old," he corrects me.

I roll my eyes but don't comment because I know he's right. Instead, I change the subject to something more important. "Why are we going early to the cabin?"

I am answered back with a few seconds of silence before my mother decides to speak up. "We're meeting the Castellanos there."

"But they always show up later than us." I make a quick comment. Crossing my arms over my thick white lemon sweater. It actually has a big lemon on the front of it. "Wait, will Reece be there too?" I perk up a bit at the thought I can finally see him. When I do, I am going to give him a piece of my mind. He needs to understand how worried I was over the past days with him gone. I need to remind him that he must at least contact me that he is alive otherwise, my mind will self combust from the stress of him being gone.

"Reece and his father are already there, waiting for us." My father informs me.

"Is Reece alright?" I immediately ask, wanting to know the answer. I dread the worse.

"He's alive, Zada." My mother softly tells me.

My heartbeats begin to pick up as I shallow in my mother's words. "How bad are his injuries?" I question with no emotion seeping into my words. My parents share a quick look which doesn't sit too well with me. "How bad are they?!" I yell out.

"Not as bad as you may think, sweetie," my mother answers me instantly.

"Like your mother say, he'll live." My father confirms, leaving no room for discussion.

I lean my head back against the head rest and shut my eyes tight. Though my parents reassured me that he'll live, I can't help but think of the worse. What are his injuries? Is he in pain right now? How selfish could I have been, wanting him by my side when my best friend has been suffering this entire time?

My heart swells up in pain and I cross my arms tightly over my chest to prevent myself from crying in frustration. At this point, I just want to be there for Reece while he recuperates. I want to hold his hand and tell him he'll be okay just like I did in the past during his numerous, painful experiments.

Most of all, I want to know who is responsible for Reece's suffering and that is what makes me want to hide under a blanket and ball my eyes out in shame. I hate the fact that I can't protect Reece. I hate the fact that I don't have the power to save him. I'm just a regular human, what can I do? I can't go out into the battlefield and fight along side Reece.