~ 22 ~

"Wow, you really took me seriously when I said come visit me anytime."

"Oh sweet chilli mushrooms! You were kidding?" I gasp feeling suddenly pathetically stupid for taking her offer literally. But she told me I could stop by! What else did she expect?

Avery continues to dribble her soccer ball with ease as if the sport is second nature to her. She bounces the black with golden stars ball to her own beat, displaying her flawless skills. Even though she's preoccupied with the ball, Avery shrugs her shoulders like she's just standing in front of me without an object jumping from one foot to the other. How she manages to perform such talent is beyond me. "I never thought you'd actually come. Usually my offers are rejected." 

I frown at her explanation, not following. "I don't get it. Don't you have any friends?" I realize too late the question I accidentally blurted out. My face morphs into one of embarrassment and regret. I start to apologize but Avery stops me.

"Don't sweat it," she says which I find ironic seeing as she's the one covered in sweat and not me, "I like that you're straightforward. And to answer your question, I don't have many... friends." Avery averts her attention back to her extravagant soccer ball and concentrates for a couple of seconds. "Actually, I don't have friends. I have teammates. Do they count?" 

It takes me a bit to answer due to uncertainty. "I'm not an athlete so I'm not entirely sure but I think so." I rub my chin like I'm thinking really hard about my next answer when in fact, I just wanted to do such an act to look smart. Sadly, I think I managed to look the opposite. "Reece plays soccer for our high school and he considers his teammates his pals; even refers to them as his squad." But that's because many of Beacon High's soccer players are actual womanizing players like Reece. Many of those guys look up to Reece as their role model because of Reece's massive lady count.

My hand instinctively moves to cover my chest from my shivering heart. Best not to remind myself about Reece's hobby. It will only make me doubt his supposed feelings towards me even more. 

"Hmm, do Reece's teammates conspire together to uncover the skills where Reece lacks so that they can use that knowledge to their advantage and appear perfect in front of scouts?" Avery asks casually as if we're discussing the weather.

The blood drains from my face while I stare at Avery questioningly, debating if I should be concerned or freaked out. "Um...what school do you play for, again?"

Still dribbling the ball, Avery shakes her head. "I don't play for a school; I'm home schooled. The teams I play for are high level where competition is intense not only between teams but within teams, as well."

Maybe it's the calm tone Avery spoke with or maybe the fact that she displayed no emotion. Whatever the reason is, I am one hundred percent concerned for this young girl's sanity. "Why is it so competitive?" I ask, gulping nervously. I would never have expected soccer to be so serious. Reece always did that sport in the name of fun. He never took is as seriously as Avery.

Actually, I doubt there's anyone else on the planet that takes this sport so close to heart as Avery.

Determination is the first emotion Avery shows in a long while. The blazing look in her eyes would have knocked me off my feet if I weren't already sitting down on a metal bench. "Someday, I will represent the US by being a member of their national team. Till then, I must be the best." Avery declares and gives the ball a stronger the kick. 

The ball soars higher into the air before it turns around and begins its descend. Just with it nears her, Avery bends forward and arches her back. The black and golden ball lands perfectly in between her shoulder blades but Avery's not finished. She pushes the ball over her head and catches it using her foot. With the ball now resting gently at the crook of her ankle, Avery nods in satisfaction. "That'll be one thousand dribbles. That's good enough for my afternoon warm up."