~ 28 I ~

- Part One - 

"What are you two doing here?" Avery asks Chasity and me, staring at our attire strangely. Our business style was a complete one-eighty compared to how we were dressed when Chasity and I held a surprise intervention with Avery and her big brother, Cameron a while back. 

Avery, on the other hand, was her usual sporty-self. She had a comfortable part of track pants and wore one of her soccer jerseys. Either she just came from a game, or she was heading to one. "What are you doing here?" I accidentally blurt out.

Avery narrows her eyes at me. "I asked you first."

"Good point, um," I stall as I send Chasity the panic look, silently begging for her to step in with her excellent lying skills. If we ever needed a made up excuse, the time was now. 

"We're here to meet with Melinda Chang," Chasity answers curtly, "now it's your turn."

Avery frowns. "Why are you meeting with my mother?"

"Well, we're here on behalf of—" Chasity began to explain out of habit but stopped abruptly. "Did you just say mother?"

I was gaping at the fourteen-year-old who nodded her head to Chasity's question. "Biological?" I asked out of surprise, eyeing Avery. Melinda Chang was Asian; Avery was purely caucasian just like her brother. 

Avery had to have expected my doubt because she rolled her eyes. "I'm adopted." 

"Does Cameron know?" Chasity asks.

Avery shakes her head. "We haven't gotten around to that conversation yet." 

Now the three of us were stuck in awkward silence, waiting for Purity's CEO to make her entrance. At least, that's what I thought we were doing until Chasity began making her way out of Melinda's office. "Where are you going?" 

"Bathroom," then Chasity turns to face Avery, "do you know where I could find one?"

"This place is like my second home, come this way," Avery says, and the two of them start walking away. 

I quickly follow after, refusing to wait by myself for Melinda Chang. Besides, I had an inkling suspicion that Chasity was up to something. 

The distance to the bathroom from the CEO office wasn't that long. I still didn't know our orientation inside the building, and if I were to lose Avery and Chasity, I would probably never find my way back. Nonetheless, it was a short walk. 

"I'm gonna wait out here," Avery states while staring at her phone. "I need to make a call." 

That's odd, but I don't question her. I follow Chasity into the bathroom. Chasity goes to the farthest stall, making me doubt my initial assumptions. "Do you actually have to go?" I whisper sincerely. 

Chasity scowls.

"I'll take that as a no," I mumble. 

Chasity doesn't comment. Instead, she ushers me inside the stall. The cramped space gives the two of us little room. I'm forced to leans as far back against the wall as possible while Chasity gets down to work. She pulls out the same drive she used to hack Melinda Chang's computer, and she takes out her cell phone that she hid at the waist of her skirt. 

I raised an eyebrow at the sight of her cellphone. I didn't think she actually brought hers because I left mine back at Bailey's. 

"We're allowed phones," Chasity says as she hooks up her driver to her phone thanks to an adapter that she also happened to bring with her. Makes me wonder what else she's hiding.