~ 21 ~

"No, dear. I forgot to grab some milk on the way home...I know you're disappointed in me, love." I flinch, instinctively at the cherished nickname the man standing before me uses in attempt to soothe his raging companion on the opposite end of the line. "I'm actually going down right... you want me back home? ...alright." The elder man releases an exhausted sigh and then turns to give Chasity and me an apologetic smile. "Sorry, ladies, for that ear full." 

Chasity shrugs, not bothered whatsoever. 

"Shouldn't we be the ones saying that? We could hear your wife just fine from over here." I could only imagine the horror the poor old man had to endure. I'm surprised he isn't suffering from temporary deafness. I know I sure would. 

The old man laughs the kind of laugh that makes him hold his stomach for support, reminding me of good ol' Satan Claus. "Nah, don't worry about me. Usually, when she gets like this, I turn off my hearing aid and wait until the storm clears off!"

Chasity and I both chuckle at that statement. This man right here is my role model. I wanna be easy going and optimistic when I'm his age.

The elevator dings, indicating that it has reached the fourth floor. "This here is mine. You ladies have yourselves a spiffin' fine evening!" The elderly man says, waving goodbye to us and exits the elevator, leaving me slightly baffled.

If the old man lives on the fourth floor, then why did he jump on the elevator from the tenth floor? There can be only one explanation for this question.

He was playing goldfish with a pal who lives on that tenth floor!  

I wave back until the doors close shut, proud of myself for figuring out the old man's motif all by myself. Of course, I'm not entirely sure if what my mind conjured is correct. I can only assume that the tired elder needed a break from his cranky wife and decided to play a fun game of cards instead of complete the list of chores his wife most likely made for him.

This man really is my role model. I will finally learn the meaning of life in the way of the elder! I will make it my lives goal to be like him and talk like him!

Then again... "what does the word spiffin' mean?"

Chasity shrugs her shoulders. "Don't know and don't care."

"I think it sounds cool." I say, ignoring the fact that Chasity is indifferent to the situation. "Spiffin'. It has a nice ring to it like that's a spiffin' shirt you got there, Chas!"

"And your stupidity is spiffin' today, Zada!" Chasity replies with fake enthusiasm.

I cross my arms over my chest and frown disapprovingly. "That ain't cool anymore."

Chasity grins, "good."

I look up to see that we still have two more floor to go until we reach the main floor. With my arms still crossed, I ponder over what to ask Chasity. I make my decision quick. "Why are you a part of the Super Trio?"

"Because those were my orders. Be a member of the Super Trio and observe." Chasity immediately answer, not wasting a single second.

I barely managed to catch it all and what I did catch confused me even more. "Who gave you those orders?"

The next floor is ours. I have less than ten seconds before the doors open to the lobby filled with New Yorkers who would be interested if they accidentally overheard our conversation regarding the Super Trio.

"My father," Chasity casually replies.

"And who does he work for?" I quickly ask, rushing the words before it's too late.