Chapter 12

When you can tell your story and it doesn't make you cry, that's when you know you've healed.

-Unknown

__________✧__________

From this chapter on, the new version of Girl in Pain is quite different, with a deeper plot and there are more chapters available as well. I will still leave this first completed draft on Wattpad but if you'd like to read a better and thorough version of this book, please head to my Inkitt profile SOSimons :)

__________✧__________

Weeks and then months passed by, the days were shorter, darker and colder; the trees stood lonely with their naked black branches, and the light breeze coming from the sea had a cold sting once it came into contact with the skin.

Everyone seemed absorbed in themselves, tightly wrapped in their winter coats, hugging the scarfs around their throats and walking in a hurry to get inside, where a bit of warmth could be found. During breaks, there were some brave souls that had the courage to go outside and chat a bit with paper mugs of coffee, tea or hot chocolate in their hands. Once or twice a small laugh could be heard and the more time passed by, the more pink cheeks could be recognised. Everything was dull in front of me; monotone scenes passed by my eyes and I could only look them from afar, keeping my distance.

As always, I found myself in the library, a dim light illuminating the walls near me with a yellowish tone, spreading a bit of warmth. The windows were striped with water droplets; white clouds covered the sky darkening the atmosphere even more.

Cole was spending more and more time with his old group of friends but I was fine with it because no matter what, he always found time to spend with me. It could have been 5 minutes before the next lesson or after school when he was done with basketball practice. We would meet at the library and from there we would walk into the cold air to the foster home.

Already two hours passed by from the end of classes. I slowly closed my book and put it back on the shelf; I would continue the next day in order to finish it before the weekend. After taking my backpack and swinging it on my shoulder, I blew the candles off and closed the wooden door behind me. Slowly walking down the empty corridors memories of my childhood flooded back in my mind.

I still remembered mum's homemade chocolate and I missed the days I would take the cinnamon cookies and eat them after dunking them in my full-filled mug. I missed the times I would play hide and seek with Blake and dad; I missed the late Friday nights spent watching films under the stars in summer and hidden under the blankets during winter. I will always miss them. And these memories will always come back to me, no matter what, no matter how blurry their faces are or how distant their voices sound. They will always stay with me.

Suddenly footsteps could be heard in the distance. I slowed my pace down and before I knew it I collided with something. For this reason, I lost my balance and was falling backwards when a pair of two strong arms caught me and a familiar scent invaded my nostrils. Looking up I recognised those rare eyes that were studying me intensively.

"If I didn't know better I would say that every time you turn a corner you fall for me."

I just smiled at him taking his hand and started walking to the entrance door. It was time to go home.

__________✧__________

"... and then he ran out the gym screaming 'freeedoooom' before he stumbled and fell on the grass where a dog had pooped moments before!"