Chapter 2

The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter - often an unconscious but still a faithful interpreter - in the eye.

- Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

__________✧__________

As I arrived at school that morning, everyone was excited. People were talking non-stop and girls were screaming, running everywhere and trying to put on their make up without using a mirror. Their hair was surely done by a hairdresser and their clothes weren't the usual ones. They were too fancy.

When I entered the normally white and simple hallway, I was met with hundreds of different balloons and banners with 'welcome back' phrases.
Confetti was lying on the ground and other things were pending from the ceiling.
What was going on?

The usually quiet school was unrecognizable. I approached my locker cautiously, trying to stay away from those crazy girls but at the same time wanting to know what was happening.

I admit I had always been a curious child; I remember when I was younger and Christmas was around the corner. Mom and dad used to buy us presents, besides those which we would receive from Santa Claus, and Blake and I were always trying to guess what the presents would be or ask them to tell us.

I remember sneaking in their closet with Blake looking for those colourful packages or to eavesdrop on their conversations. We waited for hours in that thing, whispering and cuddling. We enjoyed being together so much that sometimes mom and dad weren't able to separate us like we would close ourselves in the bathroom or we would climb up a tree on which dad had constructed a wooden house. We were always in trouble...

Some voices nearby brought me back from memories, giving me that chance to hear what they were talking about.

"Oh gosh, I'm so excited! After one year he is finally back and he surely will fall for me. How do you think he is now? More wonderful? Does he have a beard and maybe an eight pack? Why was he away? I heard that he went to Great Britain because he needed to take over his father's company or something like that. Anyway, like I was saying before..."

Was this girl having a monologue or ...? I mean, are there even people like this, who always speak non-stop?

Slowly the girls took off, headed by the leader who was still speaking. I wondered who the guy they were speaking about was and why he was so important. Never have I ever seen people react like this before seeing someone. Well, maybe not in person because I'm sure fans would be even louder and more excited.

As I glanced at the round wall clock and saw that my first lesson would be in less than 2 minutes, and considering that my locker was almost on the other side of the school, I ran as fast as I could. My backpack was swinging and bouncing on my back and it was hurting a bit. My flat slippery white ballerinas weren't helping either.

30 seconds left.

I sped up a bit and after I rounded the last corner, I bumped into something hard. Did I just bump into the wall?

Wait... walls don't move nor do they catch people who are falling, do they now?

As I glanced up, I saw two dark eyes. Jet black eyes which were piercing in my soul, scrutinising my features. His staring was too much for me to handle so I looked away but being still trapped in his arms, that thankfully had saved me from falling backwards, wasn't helping. Because let's admit it: he's not soft and he makes me uncomfortable.
I started to feel a bit of panic because of his strength, I could sense he wouldn't have let go and I needed to go to class. Like, now.

Suddenly the bell rang signalising the start of the first period making me jump in fear. Fortunately, he let me go and I took the chance to run to my homeroom where my teacher hadn't arrived yet.

Five minutes later, the door of the room opened revealing professor Campbell. She was a young woman in her thirties, slender, with beautiful black hair and an accurate taste in fashion. She wore glasses, as usual, her hair was in a bun and she was dressed in blue. She reached the front greeting the class and then moving once again to the topic about this, being our last year. As she was explaining something important about our grades, she was suddenly interrupted by something, actually someone, entering the room.

I looked at the door and he was standing there.

The professor looked in his direction while exclaiming how happy she and we were to have him back but the guy wasn't really listening to her speech. He was rather scanning the class, probably to find someone. Suddenly his piercing gaze met mine and it was as if we were the only ones in that old room. After what seemed an eternity he smirked and adverted his gaze back to the professor, which by the way, was still talking.

"I guess it's time to start the lesson. You may take whichever seat you like Cole." Ms Campbell concluded.

The guy thanked her with a nod and started walking towards the back of the class.
Suddenly the realisation hit me. I was the only one no one sat next to.
He looked at me again while sitting down.
As I blushed, I hid behind my curtain of hair trying to pay attention to the lesson.

The next 30 minutes were silently spent listening to the teacher when I felt a really close presence next to my head. A shiver ran down my spine because of his proximity.

He came nearer, if it was even possible, and whispered in my ear if I had a pen to lend him.

Not even looking in his direction, I passed him the one I was using.

He replied with a soft 'Thanks' but I didn't say a word.

Finally, the bell rang giving me the chance to storm out of the room without glancing back.

At the end of the day, I felt tired. It had been really long but interesting at the same time; I learned many new things.

As I was walking back to the house, I thought about the events at school.

During lunchtime, the cafeteria had been overcrowded. I've never seen so many people reunited to see a simple guy who returned to school. If you were wondering, it turned out that Cole was the guy everyone was talking and daydreaming about.

He had that mystery look and those eyes... they were so intense and his gaze pierced your soul.

I was brought back to reality as I walked through the open iron gate.
Many other children and teenagers were walking down the path to the old towering structure.

I sighed at the view. These were my last minutes of freedom before hell.

__________✧__________

hi! 

A new important character has been introduced. How do you feel about Cole?

Leave a star and a comment if you liked it! It means a lot to me.

[ this is a first draft - you can find the newer version on my Inkitt profile: Inkitt.com/SOSimons or by clicking on the external link]

Inkitt: SOSimons

Twitter: SOSimons_

Instagram: sosimons_