Chapter Six ~Vivaldi

Chapter Six ~ Vivaldi

I pushed open the door, silently peeking in through the crack.

    Kids were all sitting at different tables, either working on their work or getting help from one of the volunteers.

    Walking in, I smiled at the teacher, Mrs. Monty, who looked up from working with a student to look at who came through her door.

    "Hi! You must be Riya?"

    I nodded and she walked over to me, also noticing Zamir behind me.

    "Ahhh, Zamir, ready to finally agree on my help?"

    "Not yet, Mrs. M. Riya here, is going to help me."

    I raised an eyebrow and looked behind me, Zamir just shrugged.

    "Okay then, but beware, he's gonna put you into a heap of a mess." Mrs. Monty winked before leaving to the student she was previously helping.     Zamir walked in front of me and grabbed his stack of work from the table, sitting down at a random seat.

    "What are you working on right now?" I asked, standing behind him and peering at the paper on top of the stack.   

    "Grammar, spelling, the likes." He sighed, running his fingers through his jet black hair. "This shit is really hard, and if I don't get it right, I can't play on the team."

    I tilted my head to the side, "So, just regular studying doesn't help you?"

    "No! That's the problem, I have an insanely hard time focusing. No matter what I do, I just can't concentrate."

    "At all?"

    "At all. So that's why I'm stuck in here."

    I thought about that for a moment before sitting down next to him. "You need to find a method that works for you. How about flash cards?"

    "Nope."

    "How about like a role-play almost? When I first taught my little cousin division, we dressed up as pirates and pretended to sail the high seas in search of doubloons."

    He chuckled, "And how does that relate to division?"

    I smiled, recalling the memory. "Well, once we stole all the doubloons on our first adventure, I showed him how to divide it amongst us, the crew, then our families. In each adventure, decreasing or increasing the number of doubloons. And we used all the costumes and built a ship outside, made pirate swords—," I paused, noticing him staring at me. "What?"

     Zamir smiled again, "Nothing, just that you seem to have a lot of dedication in whatever you do."

    I crossed my arms over my chest, leaning back on the chair. "And how would you know what I do?"

    "Well remember Chemistry...?"

    My eyes widened with surprise, of course I remembered! I immediately punched him lightly in the shoulder. My mind dancing in victory at his hurt face. "Of course I remember, you dimwit! That was cruel. I had to throw away my favorite dress. And to top that off, I had to RUN home, I couldn't drive because I WALKED that day. I almost failed the class because of you!"

    "Woah, I had no idea. Sorry about that."

    I sighed, "Apology accepted." I muttered under by breath, "Two down, three more to go."

    "But see? That's what I'm talking about, you didn't give up, you didn't let that stop you from finishing the presentation. You are dedicated."