Chapter 3

I sit in an empty train car. The nurse finally let me go, even though she was convinced there was nothing wrong with me.

I'm sitting in the corner, fiddling with my bag until I reach the entrance to the dauntless compound. The train slowly skids to a stop and I look out the door. We are just at a stop. I sit back down on the corner as a man walks into the train car.

The man is in black, yellow and blue. It takes me a second to realize he is factionless. I look at him while he looks out the window. He looks around my moms age, but I doubt they know each other. I look down as he turns his head and looks out the other window. I look at him. He is quite attractive, minus the fact he has and eyepatch.

He looks at me and our eyes meet. I quickly glance down at my bag. I can feel his eyes, I mean eye, still on me. He takes a step closer and I look back up at him. He looks at me in awe.

"Tris?" he asks

.

.

- Hector -

.

.

I fell asleep in science again. I get waken up by the bell. Class is really boring without Al and I making faces at each other or making fun of the students.

"Okay. Homework is due tomorrow!" Mr. Kim says.

Crap. I slept through the lesson.

"Hey." I tap on a stiff's shoulder, causing her to jump. "Hey sorry." I say as she turns around. It's the girl from my group for that stupid history project. "Jenna, right?" I ask. She nods, seeming nervous. "Umm... what was the homework again?" I ask and she seems relieved.

"Page 87 in the work book and read and take notes on chapter 2." she says.

"Thanks," I smile, causing her to smile to. "Oh I'll see you tonight."

"Yeah. Bye Hector," she says and walks out if class.

I get the rest of Al's books are meet with Tommy, Jo and Claire.

"Where's Al?" Jo asks. "And why do you have like twenty books?"

"She left. She had a bad headache. And this is her homework." I say as I hear the train coming.

I start to run with the others and hop onto the train with ease. We are sitting alone in the train car when Claire gasps.

"Isn't that Al's bag?" Claire says pointing in the corner of the car.

Sure enough, it is Al's bag. I pick it up and stick her books in. I put the bag on my shoulders and walk back to the others.

"What do you think happened?" Jo asks, sounding worried.

"Nothing. She probably just forgot it," I say, not trying to think what could have happened.

"Let's hope she just left it," Tommy says, getting a glare from all of us. "What? and it is Al we're talking about. She can fight her way out of it. Don't worry."

The rest of the train ride home is silent. We are all probably thinking the same thing. Where was Al? I'm guessing she is back home, taking a nap or eating. She just forgot her bag, right?

.

.

- Al -

.

.

"Tris?" the factionless man asks.

I shake my head. How does he know my mom?

"No." I say, trying to stay calm. "I'm- I'm Al, Tris' daughter."

His eyes widen. "Tris had kids? Well, of corse she had kids. She was so pretty." He says to himself. "Is Al your dad? I've never hear of a daughter being named after their dad, but?" he asks.

"No, um my dad's name is Four," I say, and his face drops.

"Like the instructor Four?"

"Yup."

"Are you an only child?"

"No. One of four."

After each word I say, he seems to get really sad.

"Four kids?"

"Yeah." He runs his fingers through his long hair. "Um, how did you know my mom?" I ask.

"We were in the same initiation group. She was the tiny little stiff." He laughs to himself. I am relieved by his answer. Thank god he's not a crazy stalker. "She was really bad in the first round. Almost cut." He smiles.

"Did you get cut?" I ask.

"No. This guy, Peter, tried to hurt, but maybe kill me." I gasp. Peter? Angie's dad? "He stabbed my eye with a butter knife." He points to his eyepatch. "That's why I got this. Then I left. I didn't want to be around Peter anymore, I knew he wasn't going to leave, so I did."

The train slows, showing we are by the dauntless compound. I walk towards the door.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Edward. Now Al, tell your mom I say hi," he says with a big smile on his face.

"Okay." I say I wave and jump out of the train. That was weird.