New Fanfiction - Rebound

A/N:
Hello Joey Richter fans.
Good news.
I am writing a new fanfiction involving him.
Also there is some Breredith and Laurwalk.

---

Imogen is completely and utterly hopeless. Not even Audrey Hepburn, her idol, can help fix her mess. Recently fired from her job she is left with few options. It's either go back home or call up an old friend, Meredith, someone she hasn't talked to since they graduated University Of Michigan.
Joey Richter is battling heartbreak and moving on from a three year relationship that ended sour.
When Imogen finds herself in Chicago she soon realizes that her old friend has still stuck with a certain musical group that she used to envy. Imogen battles going after her dreams, but at the same time being constantly stuck in place. And then, Joey appears.
Love is a funny thing, especially when you're constantly falling in and out of it.
And, when you end up always being the rebound.
Sometimes, you just stay with someone so you can forget about someone else.

----

Chapter 1

Hopeless

            "You're fired," the words enter my mind then fly out.

            "What?" My voice is timid and I'm nearly positive I did not hear my boss correctly. My hands, that used to tremble out of fear, tremble out of anger.

            "You heard me," my boss scoffs while sticking out her undeniably huge nose.

            I shake my head; I had thought that I came in here to hear about my new promotion. I really need that extra income, but now instead I've lost it all.

            "Excuse me?" My voice cracks and I silently scold myself as I feel the tears coming. Not now, I growl at myself, now you need to be tough, you need to be Audrey Hepburn.

            My boss stares at me with beady black eyes. Her brown hair is in a tight bun, which probably is the source of all her anger. I contemplate letting her know, because there's no way hair pulled that tightly would not give you a headache, but then she slams her hands down on the table.

            "You're fired," her voice causes the hair on my arm to stand on edge and I realize, she is really being serious. "Here I'll say it slowly so it'll get through to your tiny brain: You. Are. Fired." I gulp and the tears resurface.

            An odd silence fills the room and I give a small nod while struggling to rise out of the chair.

            "Pack your things and you may want to talk to Cheryl about your severance package on the way out." She then lifts her hand and shoos me out.

            I bite my lip wanting to scream and yell at her. This isn't fair. I work the hardest at this job. And, I would tell my boss all this and more, but I'm too scared to even begin to yell at her. Being an editor is hard, but being the president of this small publishing company has to be harder—granted she didn't need to be such an ass all the time.

            I roll my eyes as I throw my things inside a box someone, probably Cheryl, had been kind enough to leave on my desk. I look past my Audrey Hepburn poster that says: "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong". I don't need any wise words from Audrey right now. She is all that I aspire to be, but I will never be able to be the famous actress that she once was.

            A presence appears next to me and one whiff of the perfume that is an overwhelming scent of fruitcakes lets me know who it is disgustingly close to me.