Chapter 48: Dismissed

Chapter 48

Dismissed

I slowly walked into the waiting room. Everyone turned to look at me, I could feel their angry eyes on me. Though really the only one angry at me was Joey.

"Walker, your turn," I nodded to him and he gave me a small smile.

I ignored Joey as I grabbed what was left of my pride and walked out of the hospital hoping that when I returned everyone wouldn't be so pissed off anymore.

I took a deep breath as I dialed the other person that should have known a long time ago aswell.

"Julia," I said as soon as she answered.

She could tell I had been crying, because she asked, "What's wrong?" I was thankful that no one had taken it upon themselves to tell her.

"I have something I need to tell you," I took a deep breath unable to admit to her what I had done.

"Yeah?" She sounded unsure and I wondered if she could guess what I was going to tell her.

"A while ago I got wasted at a party," I began as if drinking made what I did any better, "And Emily was there. And," I paused thinking about how she was going to react after I said it. This would end our relationship for good and maybe that was a good thing. "And, I cheated on you. Emily and I had sex." It was silent on other end and I was worried that it had cut out and she hadn't heard me.

"Julia?" I gulped waiting to hear her screams and annoyance.

"Wow, Darren," her voice was calm, "I didn't see you and Emily as cheaters." I shook my head despite her not being able to see me. She could call me a cheater all she wanted, but Emily didn't deserve it.

"No she isn't. Listen, she was more drunk than I was. And she didn't even remember that we had sex. I just told her a few hours ago," I admitted. "She's in the hospital, because of me Julia." This caught her attention.

"What?" Her voice was soft and caring which is what got me enchanted by her in the first place, but I screwed it up and we weren't meant to be.

"She tried to commit suicide."

"What hospital is she in?" She sounded anxious as I told her where to go.

"Don't worry, I won't be going back there in a while, Holden doesn't want me there."

"Good," she grunted, "I don't want you there either. In fact I would wish I didn't have to ever see you again, but considering we work together we'll have to be civil." And with that she hung up her phone.

I took a deep breath and rubbed my face. I felt like an outcast. No one wanted me and I wondered for a moment if this was how Emily felt, rejected and alone.

Emily's POV

A bright light interrupted my peaceful darkness. I was fading away from life, but I opened my eyes to be greeted with sad eyes from Brian. I gripped the sides of the bed tightly. Anger coursed through my veins along with a numbness that I couldn't explain.

"Fuck," my voice was scratchy and I tried to sit up, but I couldn't. Brian placed a cold hand on my chest to keep me down.

"Hold on, I'll get a nurse," he swallowed and I noticed his puffy eyes and the anxiety that he held. I felt guilty for a moment for causing him pain. But, it was washed away as I felt the anger continue to rise.

Life wasn't fair. All I wanted was an end, but I didn't get it. I never fucking get what I want. I didn't deserve to live, but yet here I was still clinging to life. And that wasn't fair.