Chapter 40: Boyfriend?

Chapter 40

Boyfriend?

Joey pulled back from me and I couldn't stop myself from slapping him. I gasped as he clutched the side of his face.

"What the hell, Joey?" Tears formed in my eyes. Why would he do that? How were we supposed to be friends now?

"I-I'm sorry, I just thought—" I stopped him.

"Thought what?" I growled in annoyance. I wasn't even annoyed at him, I was annoyed at myself for secretly liking it. There was a fire growing in my soul and I forgot all about needing water, what I needed was this new heat that I found.

"I thought that," his voice cracked and I noticed that he had tears in his eyes which caused my anger to subside. "I thought that maybe you liked me and I'm sorry, but I can't keep this a secret. I have to tell you something." My breathing hitched as he looked into my eyes. He placed a hand on my arm and I flinched from the sudden need of contact. I wanted him to touch me, but friends don't do that. But, we weren't friends anymore. How could we go back to being just friends after he had kissed me with such passion?

I nodded to encourage him to tell me the secret. Curiosity burned through my veins along with the aftermath of kissing him.

"I really like you Emily and I have liked you for a really long time now. I just was too scared to tell you," Joey admitted and he stared at me with fear. He was scared I was going to run away, but I couldn't run away, because I couldn't even move. Deadly silence fell upon us.

"Say something please, Ems," he begged and I opened my mouth, but I didn't know what to say.

"I," I paused as all the feelings I had been trying to push down surfaced, "I like you too Joey."

He stared at me with wide eyes. A small smile spread across his face and I admired his crooked jaw in a way that I had never admired it before.

"But, this ruins our friendship," I swallowed as the fear settled in.

"How about we take it slow?" Joey said and I nodded in agreement.

"Let's not tell anyone about it right now, okay? Especially not Brian. He will not be happy if he finds out." Joey nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, better not tell him. So what are we? Boyfriend and girlfriend?" I shook my head at him.

"We're just like...we aren't just friends, but we aren't boyfriend and girlfriend..." I trailed off and before he could even suggest it I said, "And we aren't friends with benefits! I am not going to be having sex with you all of a sudden now, just saying." My cheeks heated up as I admitted, "I didn't even have sex with Azazel and there was a point where I thought I loved him. I don't want to rush into having sex; I want it to be special for my first time." I bit my lip as I waited for him to laugh at me. But, instead he frowned.

"Listen," his voice wavered and it made me scared for whatever he needed to say to me, "I have something I need to tell you."

And just before he could tell me the front door opened and I jumped away from Joey to act nonchalant as my brother walked in.

I forgot all about Joey needing to tell me something as Brian approached us.

"Did you two make up?" He chuckled and looked back and forth from us.

"Yes, we did," I rolled my eyes at him.

"Make up?" Joey's eyebrows furrowed together.

"I may have texted him asking him why you were avoiding me," I bit my lip as my face turned red from embarrassment.

"It was cute," Brian said before ruffling my hair, "She cares a lot about her friends." Not friends anymore, I thought, now we are something more.

"I sure do, however if you started avoiding me I wouldn't care as much," I joked at Brian and he rolled his eyes before turning to Joey.

"So you gonna tell us what made you so mad in the first place?" Joey's eyes widened and he turned to me, finally it clicked. He was avoiding me, because he had a crush on me.

"It was, because he was jealous," I blurted out quickly and Joey gave me a weird look. "Yeah, he-he was jealous of..." I trailed off realizing that I didn't really have an answer, "Of you and Sammy." I said and Joey nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, I just was really upset, because you guys are in a relationship and I didn't want to talk to anyone about it. But, I'm cool now." Brian gave me a weird glance, but shrugged it not pushing it.

"Okay..." He trailed off before saying, "But, I wouldn't be so jealous. A relationship isn't all that great." He groaned, "She is constantly bugging me, it's getting annoying." I was shocked to hear him say this. They seemed really happy together; however I hadn't seen them together in a long time. So perhaps the honeymoon feel had finally rubbed off. Joey and I were both silent as we watched Brian walk into his room. I gulped wondering if that was going to happen to Joey and I, were we going to get sick and annoyed or each other? I didn't want to lose him.

"If we don't work out, can we promise to stay friends?" I whispered to Joey and he gave me a small smile.

"Of course, you'll always be my best friend Emily."

----***----

A/N:
Sorry I posted so late guys! I've been preoccupied lol

So I didn't meet Meredith or Brian or anyone :\ today.

But that's okay. I will someday.

I'm on my way home from Chicago right now lol
I hope you enjoyed this chapter 😏
Don't forget to vote and comment guys!