We jumped into the lift, laughing.

“Did y-you see her f-face?” I said, stuttering through the laughter.

Ellie was clutching her stomach. “Yeah! And she actually believed us!”

As the lift door opened, we silenced, stepping out into the eerie silence of the Intensive Care Unit. We walked down the corridor trying to ignore the sad faces of the patients, seen between the open curtains; the jealous ones, who wanted to be healthy and well and the sad ones, who knew their ends were near.

I speeded up, hoping to see Liam as soon as possible.

We reached his bed and turned the corner, opening the curtains, separating the beds from the corridor.

As I poked my head in, Liam saw me and his face brightened and Beatrice who was sitting with her back towards us, stiffened. Suddenly, she leaned in and kissed Liam passionately, winding her hands around his neck.

Liam’s eyes were wide open and it looked like he wasn’t responding. Eventually, Beatrice leaned back and smiled smugly at me.

“Hey Kate.” She said, sweetly. “Hey Ellie.”

I saw right through her mask, but decided to rise above it.

“Hey Bea, how are you?” I replied, just as sweetly, smiling brightly.

She grumbled an incoherent answer, and turned back to Liam. I walked towards his bed, and sat down on a chair.

“Hey Li, how are you feeling?”

He smiled. “Okay, yeah. I’m good.”

I looked into his eyes, falling into the sea of melted chocolate that I had missed so much.

“You’re awake.” I stated.

“Yeah.” He answered, simply.

Someone coughed behind me and I turned. Ellie stood awkwardly in the corner, looking out of place. “Uh, I’m going to go get a tea. Anyone want something?”

I shook my head and turned back to wards Liam. Bea stood up, scraping her chair back. “I’m going to the toilet.”

She stepped through the curtains and turned back, giving me a cold look. “I’ll be back.” In other words ‘If you touch him, you’re dead.’

I shrunk back, feeling small and defenseless.

Liam reached for my hand, and I took it, entwining our hands. “Kate?”

I looked up and smiled, thinly.