Chapter 3 - A day of peace and nose breaking.

Start from the beginning

Once again, the nurse came back, and it seemed like she'd only just left. Lilia was vaguely aware that more time must have passed than just a few minutes, that she had started to panic to the point of loosing track of time, but this time the nurse made her stick her feet in stirrups. She noticed she had things attached to her. Things she didn't remember being put there. It was not a good sign, loosing track of her memory, and she had this growing feeling of dread under the rising panic. Right now with her legs spread, a strange male nurse between her legs, staring and touching the most vulnerable place inches from her puppy...

Emilia went to hold her down again.

Then suddenly, she wasn't at the hospital anymore, and she was naked. Panting with pain, with fear, with fury, the car keys clutched hard in her hand, without any memory of how she'd gotten here.

Lilia stared around, at the tiny attic room, her breathing panicked and fast, confused and disorientated. Her body was freaking out, her heart racing, and she curled up beside the fire where they'd first done it.

She wasn't sure how she got here, if she'd made them drive back, if she'd come on her own, just that she suddenly couldn't leave the Pack Estate. It was a safe place. It was her safe place. Lilia knelt there on all fours, the wolf skin nearby, reaching out to touch it for reassurance. The pain made her pant, mouth open, rocking backwards and forwards slowly on all fours, her hair loose now and all over her sweaty shoulders and back.

It was her den. She suddenly got it, as her panic faded, as Lilia stared around the small dark attic room. It may not have been underground but it was the place she'd been given when she'd needed help, the safe room she'd lived in with her sister for a month after escaping the Northern Pack, and she couldn't do it. She couldn't lie there on her back in a hospital room, with strangers touching her there, strange smells that weren't natural all around her, machines attached to her, with her baby so vulnerable and open to men and women she didn't know. It didn't work.

Lilia stared at her bleeding arm, remembering that at some point there'd been a needle in it, breathing hard as she tried to calm down. Tried to remember her training as a midwife. She wasn't sure where Edmund was, Emilia, neither of them would have wanted to leave her alone. She needed some help though. They'd show up soon, Lilia was sure of it, but she slowly got to her feet and tried to pull something over herself. She needed a blanket, towels, and slowly collected them downstairs, her legs shaking as the contractions returned.

She'd need to find out how far along she was. Lilia slowly collected items, taking her time, making herself calm down as much as she could. She was home now. Safe. Some part of her knew that but she still felt strung out, stressed, shocked at herself for going crazy like that.

Once she had everything, except the water which Lilia couldn't carry up safely, she called Georgie.

“Hello?”

“Sorry. It's me.” Lilia said quietly.

“Aren't you supposed to be at hospital?”

“I... I was there. But I'm back. I need some help.” Lilia stared out the window. Georgie's house was ten minutes away. “Can you come?”

“Of course. Is David around?”

Lilia shook her head, listening, but no one was here. She was alone in the Pack Hall. “I think they're looking for me at the hospital.”

There was a long pause. Georgie nodded. “Okay. I'm coming. I'll call Marianne and we'll be there in fifteen minutes at the most.”

“Thanks. I'll be in the attic.” Lilia hung up and slowly went back upstairs, pausing halfway to breathe and let the agony of another contraction wash over her, waiting. She stared at the watch when it was done, took note of the time, and continued up the stairs. Now that she was home she felt safe and logical. But just in case she'd grabbed one of Edmund's shirts and their blanket from the bed.