Chapter Twenty-Four

Unedited.

"So have you kissed her yet?" Biana asked Fitz, as he styled his hair. "Kissed who?" Fitz asked, even though he knew exactly who his sister was talking about.

"Not this again." Biana grumbled. "Sophie Foster. Your cognate partner." She said. "Why would I kiss my cognate partner?" Fitz asked, trying to hide his smug smile, as Biana's eyes sparked with frustration. "Because you like her. You said so yourself, and you even confessed....did you get rejected?" Biana asked. Fitz looked away from the mirror and looked at his sister. "Do I look like I got rejected?" He deadpanned. Biana smirked, "Well you sure don't look like you were accepted." She said. Fitz turned away and went back to raking his fingers through his hair.

"So you got rejected?" Biana persisted. "What are you even doing in my room?" Fitz asked glaring at his sister through the mirror. "You did!" Biana exclaimed triumphantly. Fitz rolled his eyes. "'No, I didn't." Biana's smile grew wider. "So you have kissed her?" She asked. "No." Fitz lied. Biana huffed. "Why not?" She asked.

"Because." He said. "Because why?" Biana asked. "Because that's it." Fitz said, turning away from the mirror. "Oh, come on. I can just ask Sophie." Biana said. Fitz raised an eyebrow as he pushed down the smile that came at the sound of Sophie's name. "You think she'd answer, you?" Fitz gave his sister an unimpressed look. Biana sighed. "Alright fine. Now at least tell me this." She said. Fitz sat on his bed and lifted one boot. Looking up at Biana, he motioned for her to go on. "Do you guys plan on dating?" She asked. Fitz looked away from the imploring eyes, and pushed his foot in the boot. "Now why would we date, if we already know everything there is to know about each other?" Fitz asked. Biana grumbled under her breath. Fitz let put a small breath of relief, having dodged the question. Even though of felt like confusion and uncertainty was sinking into his stomach.

Would Sophie want to date when the time came? When would that time come? Fitz shook his head. Time. He reminded himself. Sophie needed time and he'd give however long she needed. Fitz quickly put on his other boot and stood. "So you didn't get rejected but you didn't get accepted either." Biana said, trailing after her brother, out of his room. Fitz didn't answer as he walked down the hall. "You and Sophie don't act like a couple." Fitz barked out a laugh. "That is seriously coming from you?" He asked turning to his sister. She and Dex could hardly hold hands without blushing. Biana knew it too, her face burned. "Be quiet. At least we are open about it." She said. "You and Sophie, won't even talk about relationships, or what's going on between you two." Biana said.

Fitz turned away and continued towards his dad's office. "That because it's no one's business." He said, "And we do talk about relationships, among a lot of other things." Fitz said. "Well you both like each other right?" Fitz glared sat his sister, before sighing. "Alright I'll make a deal with you." He said. Biana perked up immediately. "You want me and Sophie to act, more like a couple right?" He asked. Biana nodded slowly. "Sophie isn't like that, and I'll prove it to you." Fitz said. Biana raised an eyebrow, "Tonight I'll act like a doting boyfriend and whatever. Watch Sophie's reaction. She probably won't even notice, and once you realize that, you drop this subject and matter. Got it?" He asked.

Biana nodded. "Got it." Fitz breathed a sigh of relief, secretly he was glad he had a reason to be near Sophie. "Now go...go hail Dex or something." He said as he knocked on Alden's office door. Biana rolled her eyes. "Whatever." She said, and strode away. "Come in." Alden called. Fitz walked in. Being sure there was only room enough for him to slip through, in case Biana tried sneaking in, hr closed the door. "Hey, Dad." Fitz said as he walked in the office. Alden looked up from his paper work. "Hey, you said you wanted to talk to me earlier." Alden said, setting the papers aside, he gave his son, his full attention.

"Yeah, I did." Fitz said as he sat down. Staring at his Dad, Fitz found himself wondering just how 'dinner' would make up for what they did to Sophie. Fitz crossed his arms, carefully across his chest. "Sophie is still hurt, and angry." He said. Alden nodded. "I know. I don't expect her to forgive us....me right away. I know I hurt her, and right noe I can be thankful she is willing to still face me." Alden said. "How am I supposed to make it up to her, Dad?" Alden rubbed a hand over his face. "Sophie is a extraordinary girl, which makes it hard to understand her. The best we can do, is be more considerate of how she feels, and wait until an opportunity presents itself." Alden said.