Chapter Seventeen

For empire-of-dreams you rock!

Unedited.

Alvar looked. Well he looked fantastic, and shocked Sophie was standing in his living room.

He was dressed in simple paint flecked jeans, and a yellow shirt. In his hands was a paint brush and pastel.

"Sophie?" He asked. At his cool voice, Sophie's knees gave out and she sat in the middle of his living room. Alvar seemed stunned for a moment before he regained his composure. He laid the pastel and brush aside, he wiped his hands on his jeans and moved to the kitchen, where he washed his hands and put a teapot on the stove.

Sophie managed to make her muscles move and she sat down on the couch. "What's wrong?" Alvar asked as he came to sit beside her. "Everything." Sophie took a moment to blink back the tears in her eyes. "Okay okay." Alvar soothed as wrapped his arms around her. "It'll be okay." He promised holding her close. "They lied. It's not okay, it won't be okay, and it hurts!" Sophie said yanking hard on the anger that had built up in her. "Who lied?" Alvar asked leaning back to look at her. "Everyone." Sophie said. "Ho-" Alvar didn't even get to finish because Sophie stood up and started pacing angrily.

"Your stupid Dad erased Kyle and Rose's memories. I'm gone from them! And everyone knew! They had a group vote to keep me from knowing!" Sophie said. "They...what?" Alvar asked. He practically hissed the words, but he was confused. "Elwin, Dex and Tam were the only ones who voted for me to know." Sophie said waving her hands as it'd hoping to get her anger across to Alvar. Sophie found herself pouring out the whole story to Alvar, "Three people. Three people voted for me, what hurts even worse? It is that I believed them!" She finished slamming the heavy coffee mug on the counter. She had finished the tea, the hot tea had only made her angrier.

"I believed them, Alvar!" Sophie said. Alvar took Sophie's shoulders and turned her to face him. He stared at her. "Sophie be angry. You of all people deserve that, just don't act out of anger, don't let the anger control you, know that family is always most important. Don't hold grudges that stop you from being happy. Be angry, be upset let them know they hurt you, just don't forget what means the most to you." Alvar said. Sophie stared up at him, "okay?" He asked in a softer tone as he stepped back giving her space, slowly letting her shoulders go. "Come back?" Sophie asked. Alvar's smile was bittersweet but he shook his head. "Can't." Was his simple answer, though the pain was clear in his voice.

Sophie took a deep breath, before closing the distance he had put between them, she hugged him, Alvar hesitantly hugged her. "Thank you." Sophie breathed. "There is no need to thank me Sophie." Alvar said pulling away after a moment. His expression was closed off and, not cold but locked.
Sophie looked enquiringly at him. Alvar sighed and he spoke. "You aren't the only one who is having trouble." He said. "What's wrong?" Sophie asked. Alvar's mouth fell in a cold flat line. "A Neverseen member contacted me." He said. "He...he wants to work undercover and needs my assistance in hiding out if he gets caught." Alvar said. "What are you going to do? What did you say?" Sophie asked.

Alvar bit his lip, looking serious. "Alvar!" Sophie said stunned. "He needs my help. I won't turn him away." Alvar said. "B-b-but he's part of the Neverseen he could just drag you back into it!" Sophie said. "No." Alvar shook his head. "I won't let that happen. Besides we already made an agreement." His eyes flitted over Sophie's shoulder, and Sophie whirled around, and her heart stopped.

But standing in the doorframe of Alvar's room, stood the hulking figure, his skin as black as obsidian, and his blue eyes bright. He had no weapons and looked like a caged animal, approaching a new prisoner. "Hello, Sophie." He said. His voice was deep and smooth, silky and strong, like coffee, it was heavy and thick like an anvil but somehow rang earnestly. Alvar cleared his throat placing a cool hand on Sophie's arm. "Sophie, I'd like to introduce to you to, Demise Silvertongue."

Iver's brother.

Sophie stared at Demise. Her hand clutching her crystal, ready to leap at any moment. He stared back, as if half preparing for her to scream and attack, and half expecting her to faint. Sophie hadn't realized she had been holding her breath, until her lungs started to burn. She let it out slowly, one problem at a time. She reminded herself. "You want to get rid of your brother?" She asked. Demise cringed before taking a very small step forward. "My brother, I believe what he's doing is wrong, I've been blind to that for the past years." He said.

"That doesn't answer my question." Sophie pointed out. "My brother is unsafe to himself and everyone around him. I would like to see him punished for his wrong doings." He said. "What of your wrong doings?" Sophie asked, still clutching her home crystal tightly. Alvar's cool hand skimmed her arm as he reached up and touched her shoulder. "Hear him out, Sophie." Sophie's eyes darted to Alvar's cold eyes. "Please?" He pleaded. Sophie's lips pressed together tightly. "Fine, one wrong move and I'm out of here." She said glancing back at Demise who nodded.

~

When Sophie leapt back to Havenfield, she felt exhausted. Mentally, she managed to stumble down to the caves were Sandor still waited. His arms crossed, he was glaring at Dex, Fitz and Biana, who were at the entrance of the cave. "Please Sandor we have to talk to her." Biana pleaded. "Yeah." Dex echoed. Fitz however was glaring into the dark mouth of the cave. "She's not in there is she?" He asked, his voice sounding strained. Sandor didn't move.

Sophie had felt Fitz trying to transmit when she was with Alvar but she had been to far away. Sandor looked past them as Sophie approached. "Did you find what you were looking for?" He asked, as he strode past the three elves. "No." Sophie shook her head digging the pebble out of her pocket. "Not what I was looking for, but I found what I needed." She said, laying the pebble in Sandor's palm. "And?" Sandor asked. Sophie pinched the bridge of her nose, taking a deep breath, before looking at her friends. Be angry, be upset but don't forget what is important.

"Sophie, we're sorry!" Biana said stepping forward. Sophie's eyes went to Dex, nervously shuffled his feet. "I'm sorry too." She said looking back at Biana. Biana opened her mouth to speak but Sophie held up her hand. "Save your breath, for someone who is listening." She said. Sophie looked at Dex, she could forgive him. He had the decency to tell her...

"You guys should probably leave now." Sophie said as she turned on her heel, "Sophie wait." Dex said. Sophie stopped, but didn't turn. Instead she moved her head just enough so she could look at him out of the corner of her eye. "Please don't do anything stupid." He said. Meaning don't run off and try to find Black Swan, or fight the Neverseen by herself. "I'll see what I can do." Sophie said as she faced forward again, squaring her shoulders she walked away. Ignoring Fitz's transmissions.

She ignored Grady and Edaline, and went to her room. Sandor did his routine check, of sniffing and searching her room, before standing outside the door. Sophie took a very long bath, thinking about what Demise had said. Iver was creating an army, an army of dark elves, he wanted to take over the world. Ironically.

His last words seemed to ring in Sophie's ears, as she popped a pink tinged bubble.

'Sophie, you're our only hope to fight my brother.'

She was the hope of destruction and chaos. She was the hope of Iver's downfall.

She was the hope of Demise.

(Well would you look at that?)