Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

   He saw the fear in my eyes—I knew it too.

There was no escaping his stare. “So, tell me,

what made you decide to come back? You missed me, huh? Melinda just couldn’t stay away from such a good looking brave man.” He walked closer to me. Nothing would come out—no words would come, I was speechless. “Let’s get you inside before this nasty sun gets to you, shall we?”

       “No thanks, I’m fine—really. I’ll be going now—so bye.” Erik didn’t believe me for a second, he just shrugged. “You don’t believe me, do you? Well that’s fine with me. But seriously, the sun isn’t that bad. I know my family’s alive too—so that’s where I’m going—I can walk myself there.”

He rubbed his chin mulling over my words.

       “So, you think I was just messing around when I told you that? I wasn’t messing around—not at all Melinda, but fine go back to see that your family is dead for yourself. You’ll come crawling back—you know you will—right now I can tell you are scared, there’s no doubting that. If you would just stay with me I’d keep you safe.” Erik looked at my sweatshirt, investigating the stains. “There was way more blood spilled from your family than that blood on your hoodie you are wearing,” he relaxed his arms at his sides, “gallons and gallons more.” That caught me off guard, as I stumble trying to search for words. His predator’s smile appeared again when I looked at his face. He has shown me two completely opposite sides—one was a violent drunk who could care less who he hurt—the other a kind of gentle and even maybe caring man. Right at the moment he was just plain out insane.

       “Leave my family out of this. They are still alive! I know it’s true! So, don’t even try to lie to me.” His light brown hair seemed to shine almost, as he stepped out from his small porch. He stumbled and almost tripped trying to get to me.

“Are you okay. . .? Let me help you up.” He stood straight up to prove he didn’t need nor want my help. I felt so bad for him—although I shouldn’t feel that bad for him. We just stood there in silence refusing to utter a single word. I took in my options—go inside with him, or run for it, run all the way to my house to seek the truth, the real truth.

       A loud thumping from my heart was almost urging me to stay with him. I felt compelled to stay with him. No—just no. My pulse started to stutter to a stop. What’s going on? It quickened its pace rapidly then slowed again.

       “Melinda, come inside, please?” his eyes begging me to come with him. He wouldn’t tell me what to do—no way. I readied my feet to run—run as fast as I possibly can. “You won’t survive out in the sun like this—just stay with me. Melinda, you’re not thinking. I need to help you—you need to help me, so make it easy on me, I don’t wanna have to force you to stay. I want it to be your decision to stay. Erik was showing his kind side all of a sudden. He waited, eyes almost tearing up—waiting for my answer. I already knew what my answer was, I have to go find my family, tell them I’m fine—well as fine as becoming a vampire that is.

       “Erik, look I really appreciate your concern, I do,” I batted my eyes at him, “but I have to go see my family—I’ll be all right on my own. I am sixteen, you know, a big girl? And for the record you do not need my help. How could I possibly help you? Put you in an anger management class and then rehab?” He laughs at that comment.