25 - Don't Miss the Blessings

For more than eleven years, we've travelled the same stretch of highway every other Friday and Sunday on nearly every first, third and fifth weekend of the month. It's my burden from being divorced and sharing in the responsibility of my daughter seeing her father. At times, I've really hated it. One hundred thirty-two miles each way - Friday and Sunday afternoons. I've lost track of how many miles we've logged along I-20. Sometimes, the trip seems to take an eternity. Other times, I've hugged the rear bumper of an 18-wheeler on the return trip and only to wake up two hours later to find myself nearing home and thankful that I was able to zone-out for two of the four hours... and live to tell about it. 

While most trips have been uneventful (thankfully), there are those occasional trips that are full of... well, all kinds of events where we're privileged to see God working in it all. Yesterday held such a trip. The jack-knifed 18-wheeler we had to slow down for, noting that the driver was up and walking around when he could have been seriously injured or dead. It was our opportunity to thank God for that man's life whoever he is. 

The massive fire on the north side of Ranger Hill - hundreds of acres burning, and we witnessed pilots flying helicopters and airplanes above the fire, assisting the National Guard and local emergency crews' - all working together to gain an ounce of control in severe drought conditions where there is little hope for containment. It was our opportunity to bring everyone involved before God - asking Him to keep them safe; to help them gain control; to protect those in the path of the fire; people, livestock and wildlife alike. 

Another ten miles to the east, we were forced to pull off to the side of the highway because it was raining so hard, I couldn't see more than a foot past the front of the car. Sitting there as the car rocked back and forth from fearsome straight-line winds, we experienced lightning strikes so close by that we involuntarily closed our eyes from the intense brightness - just another opportunity to thank God that He's kept us safe from hail and tornado. It also gave us the chance to ask Him to push the rain to the Ranger fire, to extinguish it by His hand so that everyone working to stop it will see His glory since it's rare to see a storm moving east to west in that region. 

After twenty minutes passed, it was clear enough to head back down the highway, only to be blessed with witnessing a double rainbow over I-20. Not only was it bright and clear through the sun's beams against the blue-gray backdrop, but we were treated with actually seeing the "end of the rainbow" where it washed into the scrub brush just past the westbound lane. It was another opportunity to thank God for showing us something we've never seen before, and for the promise He gave us with the very first rainbow. 

The temperature fluctuations were another incredible thing to behold, having left home where it was one hundred degrees, watching it rise to about 102 on our journey, and hitting rainfall where it dropped to 72 degrees in a matter of seconds and coming out of the storm where it shot back up to 97. As we often say in our neck of the woods... "Only in Texas." But really, it our time to thank God for the change - a joyful event where simply touching the car window and feeling the "cold" against our hands was like touching a miracle. My family in New England often laughs at me when it's in the 70's here, and we complain about it being cold. It is cold - at least it feels that way when for more than 50 days straight, it's been over one hundred. 

Arriving safely at our destination and knowing I have to turn around and drive right back through everything was a little daunting. Will the rain be as heavy? Will the fires be out or will more fires be ignited because of the lightening? Will I make it without ending up like the jack-knifed trailer? We hugged goodbye, promising to text one another when we're safely home. She headed east for another 132 miles with her father as I headed west an equal distance. 

I hit the temperature drop; I hit the heavy rain though I was able to continue driving slowly without stopping. Somehow, the rain eluded the fires. I had been so sure they were going to douse them. Two hours more, and I arrived home. It was still bone dry. Not a single drop of rain had fallen. At 8 p.m., it was still 100 degrees. It wasn't quite as eventful driving home, but it was another opportunity to thank God that both of us arrived safely even despite the near three hundred miles that separates us. 

A new day... Five a.m. rolls around, and I wake to the sound of thunder in the distance. Lightening plays outside the windows. Moments later, the rain is pouring down, and the sweet sound and inner joy that accompanies the heavy rain on a parched land fills me with peace. I don't bother checking the radar to see if the storm will be severe. It's rain, and no matter how heavy or how severe it gets, it's rain! Amen! I lay awake, enjoying the sound of it, and I smile and thank God. 

While it's behind me, yesterday's drive was quite event-filled. Seeing God in all the things of life and knowing He is in control of it all brings me such peace. I wish I recognized Him like that every day. I wish I found that many opportunities to thank Him for on a daily basis. It's pretty sad that I don't. It's not because He doesn't present me with the opportunities. It's because I get so busy, I don't stop to recognize them, and another opportunity to thank Him slips away. 

Lord, please forgive me when I fail to see you in all the good stuff of life. 

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. (James 1:17)