1 - Mustard Seeds

That about sums it up. If my faith were as big as a mustard seed, I could move mountains because nothing would be impossible. I'm lucky if I can move my behind out of bed in the morning without my Dunkin Donuts coffee helping me to face another day in this world of which we're said to be aliens. 

Aliens, that's funny, and those of you who know me, know why. That's exactly how I feel as I see the world racing out of control on a spinning trail of self-consumption and gluttony. Oh, I'm right there with it... hanging on by a thread. The problem is, it's looped around my neck; a fashionable noose so to speak; a secure and perfect fit (better than most clothes I own) and getting tighter every day until one day, it's just a little too tight a fit and... 

He cuts me free, and I look around, and there it is... still just the size of a mustard seed. Will I ever learn? Whew. Tough question mainly because I'm sure the answer begins and ends with a resounding, "No!" But I keep trying anyway even when I know I'll fail. 

So I head out on another day, braving the same cruel world with my mustard seed flung over my shoulder where I hope it will stay throughout the day. But it's a slippery thing. It wavers, it moves; it's a challenge to keep it securely in place when Satan is constantly on the prowl. After all, he's been at 'his thing' a whole lot longer than I've been at 'my thing', so he's better at it. He's been around. I haven't been around nearly as long but if it means running after him, I'll pass. 

It's hard enough being a child of the king when you feel more like a step-child, wondering at every rejection and failure if He really does have a plan for me. Does He really know me? He sent His only son to assure me of that but I'll tell you, some days it just feels like that was about 2,000 years ago, and He's got no clue what it feels like to be a single mom in a world where really... I'm just an alien. 

Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, "Why couldn't we drive it out?" He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." (Matthew 17:20)  

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8) 

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:11)