vingt-quatre ~ it's gone and you're dead again

Helena Beat ~
Foster The People

"Avery, oh my god, please tell me the rumours aren't true

"Avery, oh my god, please tell me the rumours aren't true."

A frantic Chloe, curly hair bouncing, screamed at her best friend. "That depends what rumor you're talking about. The one where Jessica got caught making out with Mike in the janitors closet is true. But the one where Amya punched Trinity in the left boob is a lie, she actually punched her in the right boob."

Chloe shook her head, scoffing. "No! The one where Cody freaking Knight asked you to the dance and you said yes!"

Avery looked at her best friend with a scrunched nose. "What if it is? Should I have not said yes?"

Chloe's eyes grew wide as she shook her head once again. "No! I'm just mad that you didn't tell me!"

Chloe was lying. Well, half-lying really. She wanted Avery to be the one to tell her, that part was true. But, she was also mad that Avery was going with Cody. She wanted her best friend to be happy, but not with Cody.

Yes Cody was hot, but he rubbed her the wrong way. Not physically! He was just, suspicious.

It was like Cody knew something that he wasn't supposed to know.

Avery's eyes widened and she quickly brought Chloe into a hug. "Oh, Chloe! I'm so sorry! I wasn't even thinking! Oh goodness, I'm going to a dance! With Cody Knight! Oh god! Chloe! I need help, please help!" Avery grabbed onto Chloe, struggling to take a breath. Chloe, after helping her breathe, looked at Avery.

"That necklace is new, it's pretty." Chloe smiled at her friend, trying to change the subject. Avery looked down at it, her eyebrows coming together as she brought her hand up to touch it. "Yeah, it is. It feels weird though, like something I shouldn't have. It feels unlucky."

Chloe tilted her head at her friends anxiety, confused. "Who gave it to you?" "Cody." The shorter girl looked at the necklace once more, trying to figure out something. "It looks so familiar..." Chloe trailed off in thought, the girls going silent.

After a few seconds, Chloe shook her head smiling again. "Avery, I swear on all things, I will help you look your hottest, and feel your best, with little to no effort because you are already amazing."

Avery grinned at Chloe and pulled her into a hug.

¤¤¤¤¤

The day before the dance, Clark still hadn't built up the courage to actually talk to Avery. Yes, Superman, who fought bad guys, and saved lives, was too afraid to talk to the girl he kinda, sort of, maybe, had a crush on.

As Clark sat on a bench outside of school, two skinny arms wrapped around his shoulders.

The boy remained still, Massie walking around him and sitting on his lap. "What's wrong Clarky?" The boy finally looked up at the girl, his eyes going from bright blue to a foggy grey. "Nothing now."

Massie grinned at the boy, flipping her hair to one side and bringing her arms around the boy's neck. "Good."

She leaned in and pressed her lips to his while his arms went around her waist and pressed her against the table. His head was foggy and all he could think about was the newfound lust he had for her.

After a moment, she pulled away from him and her necklace glowed once again. "Do you have anything to ask me, Clarky?" Clark, still foggy eyed, nodded his head rigidly.

"Massie, go to the dance with me?"

The girl looked at the boy and nodded her head, gaining a sinister grin.

Their plan was going great, and it took barely any effort. The girl would play her part and her boyfriend's father would bring hell.