quatorze ~ trees to hang their hope

The Funeral ~
Band of Horses

The Funeral ~Band of Horses

"Avery, please help."

Avery's eyes opened, waking up from a dreamless sleep to see Bruno. She noticed the pained look on his face and immediately sat up.

She swung her legs off the bed, taking in her brothers fragile state. The bags under his eyes and unusually pale complexion told it all.

He was sick.

"Bruno, are you okay?" Said boy didn't have time to answer before he began to fall backwards. Avery bounced off the bed swiftly catching him and bringing herself down with him. "Mom! Dad! Help!"

She heard fast footsteps racing towards her room. Her father came running in first, gun held tightly in his hand.

"What's wrong?" Her father's alarmed structure tensed at the sight of her brother. "It's Bruno."

Avery brushed the boys hair back, feeling his forehead and hissing at the heat that stung her fingers. She looked back up at her parents, "He's really sick."

Her mother pushed passed her father, falling to her knees beside the boy.

"Okay, I'll call the medics." Her father rushed out of the room to his phone. "Please send an ambulance quickly, it's my son."

Avery looked down at her little brother, her heart crushing for the boy. "You'll be okay Bruno, it's gonna be okay."

¤¤¤¤¤

Avery picked up her phone as she paced the hospital hallways. It was around two in the morning and she was contemplating calling Chloe.

She needed a support system right now and Chloe was the perfect fit. She dialed the number and placed the phone to her ear.

"What's up Ave? It's two am."

"Chloe,"

The familiar crack of Avery's voice drove Chloe's sleepy thoughts away.

"What's wrong Avery?"

"It's Bruno, I'm at the hospital."

Chloe didn't hesitate before jumping off the bed and getting dressed.

"I'll be there in half an hour."

Chloe hung up the phone knowing it had to be something serious. She grabbed her coat, some coffee and her keys before rushing to the hospital.

¤¤¤¤¤

When Chloe got to the hospital she walked up to the front desk, a box in her hands. It was around three and she was in a hurry.

"Bruno Smith, please."

The kind nurse behind the desk nodded with a smile. Her nametag read 'Melissa'.

"Room 220, if you go up those stairs and then take a right it should be down that hallway."

Chloe smiled at the woman before heading off in the direction of Bruno. She hoped the boy was alright, he was like a brother to her.

When she got to the second floor she saw Avery sitting in a chair. At the sound of footsteps the girl looked up. There were bags under her eyes and she had a coffee in her hand.

Avery stood up and met Chloe half way, hugging her. Chloe quickly hugged back, almost crying for her friends pain.

"Come on, my parents are talking to the doctor right now."

When they walked into the room Avery slid the chair to Bruno, placing her hand in the sleeping boys.

There were dark bags under his eyes and he was hooked up to many machines.

Chloe looked at Avery and sat in the chair beside her. Avery quickly laid her head in the crook of the other girls neck, beginning to cry.

"Oh, babe. I've got you, it's okay."

A/N SO, I WATCHED THE NEWEST EPISODE OF RIVERDALE, MY REACTIONS- OH V, ITS GONNA BE OKAY... GO MAMA COOPER!!! AND CHERYL, COME ON DUDE, I LOVE YOU