trente-trois ~ you are the reason i'm still here

Hand Over Hand ~
Roland Faunte

Hand Over Hand ~Roland Faunte

When Avery got home she changed quickly, too excited to shower

When Avery got home she changed quickly, too excited to shower. She ran down the stairs, grabbing the railing for support, not thinking about the pain it caused her wrists to do so. Before she could run out the door, Dahlia stood in front of it.

"Mom, I'm just going to see Clark, seriously." Dahlia shook her head at her daughter, the need to helicopter both her and her son growing in her chest. Before Dahlia could speak in protest, the strong arm of Thomas wrapped around her shoulder.

He squeezed her shoulders, shaking his head at his wife. "Let her go." Both Avery and her mother looked at him with wide eyes and confusion. What was his game here? He's always been incredibly protective over Avery when it came to Clark.

Thomas sighed, looking at the ground with his hands in his pockets. "I mean, he saved her, right? She should at least go properly thank him. Plus, I know this is not the first time and definitely not the last that he'll have to save her from something. We should think about getting on his good side. Invite him over for dinner at some point. Does he like football?"

Avery stared at her father with her mouth slightly open and brows furrowed. She shut her mouth after realizing the man was finally accepting the blue eyed boy's presence in his daughters life, nodding her head to herself and smiling a little. "I'll be back soon, I promise."

*****

Gravel crunched underneath Avery's tennis shoes as she walked down her long driveway towards the Kent house on the other side of the street. She didn't want to but her mind wandered to everything that happened to her in the last 24 hours.

How is she even standing right now? Pure adrenaline? Stubbornness? She just hoped it stuck around for a while. She knew the pain she felt would just get worse.

Her head was cast down and her hands dug into the front pocket of her hoodie, picking at each other. Why was she nervous? She's known Clark for almost 10 years, they've been best friends for more than half of their lives, so what's changed?