SMHS Protest

(I do not own these pictures or video, they are from my friends, peers, and social media pages.)
(This video was from a different protest at the end of 2016, when the police shot a black man and peaceful protests turned to violence and chaos)

I'm so proud of my school, my peers, and my city.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

¤¤¤

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

¤¤¤

Charlotte Latino Boycott: From the Perspective of a Student (February 16th, 2017)-
NOBODY was in class. You could tell the cultural difference and you could feel the stiffness in the air. The South Mecklenburg High School student body was still the same, loud, crazy, and giant, but without their friends, their sadness was felt through all.

South Mecklenburg High School Protest: From the Perspective of a Student (February 17th, 2017)-
It started off a normal day, everyone was loud, talkative, and still the slowest walkers on the face of the earth. After 1st block we were excpected to go to Homeroom for Enrichment. I was playing cards with my friends when I heard what was happening. Some girls in my homeroom started talking about a small protest that was brewing in the courtyard. I, of course, wanted to know more about it because I, unfortunately, eat drama like thanksgiving dinner. We all checked social media and found videos of the protest occurring at our school. A couple of minutes later, we heard what sounded lik a stampede. Protestors ran through O-Building, screaming and smiling. Most people would be scared of this, but because I am who I am, a smile came to my face and I knew that this day was awesome. Even if the protest got a little out of control, I love whenever someone my age fights for something they believe in. It shows that they are growing up and becoming their own, independent person. We were sent to 2nd block (idiotic, if you ask me) and only five people were in my class. Later on more came in, but one thing annoyed me more than any other. There were five girls in my homeroom that felt they wanted to show their cultural respect and attend the protest. My homeroom teacher, though accepting as he is, would not let them go. It is, of course, their right to protest what they believe, and to have their voices heard, but he would not allow this. This ended in those girls (sarcastically) banging on the window, calling out to some of the "skippers" to 'help'. All though they were being sarcastic, I could tell that they really wanted to go and show their support, but they weren't allowed to.
I wish I could explain the description of the protest, but, unfortunately, my teachers are currently holding us captive in our second block, and, me and my classmates alike, are not allowed to leave, and are saddened by this. We now reside in our second block classrooms (even though we are supposed to be in 3rd block or lunch) and are not allowed to express our beliefs in one of the only ways our generation knows how. Growing up in Charlotte, NC meant seeing a lot of political issues and the effects of these issues. We all remember the black lives matter protest from 2016, and the women's walk that happened earlier this year. My generation doesn't really know how else to make our voices heard, because this is what we have seen our whole life. These protests in middle schools and high schools are just us, your children, sisters, brothers, sons, and daughters, trying to show what we believe, and show to you that we see what goes on, and we have the power to stop it.
-Madilyn C. Brown-