41

a/n
very short & angsty, im sorry

. . .

What if this wasn't the right thing to do?

The question lurked through your thoughts, causing you to question your own choices-- which, you doubted that you even had by now.

But you were convinced that you were definetely doing what was right, preventing anymore casualties was your only choice, leaving everyone so that you wouldn't end up doing something that you didn't want to.

And yet here, as you swung the door to your room open, and stared back and forth between the hallway and the place that soon was no longer to be called yours, you felt more distraught than you ever were.

I don't want to leave.

But you have to.

But I can try--

No. Don't. It won't work.

You felt like you were beginning to go insane, having conversations in your head. It would've at least made sense if you knew that it was Ai. But well, it wasn't. It was all you, in your piteous state of downfall.

"Wait, (y/n)."

You stiffened at the sight of the captain approaching you. You knew exactly what he was going to say, and the only problem was that, once he'd say it, you knew that it would instantly change your mind. And you couldn't have that happen.

"Please, not right now," You let out, just on the point of entering your room and locking your door. What stopped you was merely the sight of his damped face. Damn it, not this again. You knew you wouldn't be able to handle it. But what could you possibly do to stop him from convincing you to stay? It tore your heart to pieces, but you had to do something.

There was only one option, and it was unbearable to even think of. But running out of choices, you knew you had to do it.

"Y-you're crying again? That's very unlike you. . ." You tried to sound as sincere as possible, but it was very hard to do when every part of you screamed not to. "I thought you didn't have any feelings."

"(y/n), I--" He was lost for words, completely shocked by the sound of those strange words that he couldn't ever remember hearing you say before. This definetely was you, you didn't mean it. He tried to convince himself over and over again.

"I just came here because I have to apologize."

"For what?" You asked, despite knowing how obvious it was. Your lip quivered at the fear of your own hurtful words and demeanour.

"For everything. I'm sorry I ever got you involved with all of my shit. And. . . I'm sorry for doing that to you at the trial. . . It was for the sake of--"

"Yeah, alright. I get it. Now just. . ." You hesitated. "Just get lost."

What was he expecting anyway? Easy and heartfelt forgiveness? Levi wasn't a fool, so in a way he wasn't expecting your forgiveness in the first place.

You were just about to enter your room, and he was just about to leave. But neither of you had the guts to leave, in fear of that if you did, you'd never get to see eachother again.

"(y/n), I love you," He nearly choked on his tears. "I still do. Fuck, when you're gone, I always will. I just. . ."

You were breaking apart just as much as he was. Levi, it's okay, I love you too. I'm sorry.

No, don't say that, don't say that.

"Please, just promise you'll be okay." He finally said, giving you a weak smile. One that you couldn't bare to return. And then, he turned around to leave.

Don't say anything. Just shut up, don't make things harder than they already are.

And it was that easy for it all to come crashing down. All it took were a few words, and that was it.