38

You heard the sound of rapid footsteps approaching the room you were in. It must have been Hanji, you had thought, despite wondering how she was able to get back so fast. It has barely been a minute since she left.

Quickly, you wiped away the remaining tears on your face, and tried your best to act as if you were fine.

At the sound of the door swinging open, you asked, "So did you find out?"

Silence. That was strange, and had made you turn your head towards your visitor, and couldn't help but widen your eyes in horror.

". . . Levi?" His name escaped your lips, nothing more than a shaky breath.

The look on his face said it all; signs of regret and guilt. Yet neither were capable enough of eradicating the fear that rose in your heart.

"I heard you scream? Is everything alright?"

You immideately looked away, unsure about how you had to feel. Were you really able to just tell him about how unjust you felt, how you wanted him to just leave without another word, or even how distraught it was for you to be sitting still and contemplating whose fault it was? How could you tell him any of that, and all without violently breaking apart again?

You'd rather avoid the subject all together.

"It was just a bad dream." You said, partially honest. Now you hoped he'd just leave you alone for some time. You even fooled yourself into thinking he would while he stood still beside the door frame, eyes roaming around the floor-- for whatever reason, you wouldn't know.

Slowly, he began to approach you, making you sink your back against the wall of the couch, sucking in the longest breath you could ever remember taking. You wished that you could only ask him to leave, but your lips were frozen in place.

Once he got close enough, he could finally examine the bandages sticking around in various places on your body; new ones that replaced the ones before, a couple that added to your recent collection. None of them had succeeded at making him realize how cold-hearted he was as much as the fearful look on your face.

He flinched, and led by instinct, you swiftly reached your arms up to cover yourself defensively.

Levi's eyes widened in disbelief at what he had seen. In an instant, he was feeling a whirl of uncertain emotions, it made him feel bitter to no ends.

"Did you. . . think. . .?" He choked slightly on his own words. "Did you really think that I was going to hurt you?"

You tried to identify the tone of his voice; was it demanding, or apologetic? You could no longer tell the two things apart. You remained silent.

"Say something. . ." He begged, knowing that he was giving into his emotions too much-- but it wasn't like he gived a single damn anyway by now. It felt like he was loosing you all over again; a part of him was dying.

You refused to reply, still. You hid yourself behind your two frail arms, out of the simple fear of receiving a sudden blow, one that you knew would never come, yet you were profoundly frightened of.

"(y/n). . . You really have no idea how much I--"

A knock interrupted his sentence, followed by your friend's voice, "This is Hanji, may I come in?"

You gazed at Levi in fear, but tried your best to utter a single word, ". . . Y-yes."

The door was pushed open, and the woman entered calmly, paying no mind to whatever she had heard while she was outside.

"I'm just here to report that our transportation has arrived, commander Erwin asked me to pass on that he wants everyone to get ready to leave in the next five minutes. Are you feeling any better, (y/n)?"

You cautiously nodded your head. Hanji offered you a smile that translated as "Great, I'm glad to hear that". Just before she left, you could catch the dissaproving glare that she gave Levi.

The man himself let out a heavy sigh, and said, "I'm sorry, (y/n). I hope that you can forgive my rash behaviour. Please tell me when you're ready to talk."

You didn't want to reply, but seeing how distraught he was, it would have hurt your heart not to.

"I'll try."

Levi walked back towards the door, then took one last glance at you. Never has he felt so genuinely sorry because of his own mistakes. Perhaps this was one that he was going to regret, and for quite a long time.

And just like that, he left.