33

a/n: the following is a chapter that i feel is accurate enough to continue where i left off. it's a bit short, and i'm writing it out to be a bit more angst-centered as i'm planning on heading into the next point of the plot, which is already slightly hinted in this chapter (and hopefully will be continued in the ones to come if school doesn't decide to be a bitch on me)

---

A stack of books that your good friend Hanji had brought in this morning now stood beside your nightstand, accompanying your lonesome atmosphere. You didn't really care to read them as you had assured her. No. For even if you grabbed the object into your two hands, your mind would barely stay put on a single page, but instead ponder over many many hindering thoughts.

It was a quiet morning, whereas the headquarters of the Survey Corps remained with concern over your well-being. One person in particular had it going a bit tougher than the rest.

Ah, speak of the devil, you thought, as a gentle knock was heard, followed by the steady turn of a knob and the sight of a heavily tired man. His eyes had dark shades underneath, indicating that he's barely slept for the past few days. His normally immaculate attire now appeared as messy and unattended.

"Are you feeling well?" Came the sentence you've been hearing ever since you've returned.

"I should be asking you the same. Judging by how you look, I bet everyone's concerned over you way more than they are of me." You said today, intentionally trying to infuriate the captain. He didn't get mad or insult you the way that you had expected him to, however. In fact, he had barely said a single word of dislike towards you at all these recent days. Which to you, was a very strange thing coming from the man whom was known well for his bluntness and arrogance.

He allowed himself to sit on the chair beside your bed, offering to you what seemed like the ghost of a smile, "Maybe they are."

You frowned, regretting to have said such a straightforward comment.

"That bastard still wants a detailed explanation." Levi said in a slightly irritated tone, acting a bit more like his usual self. He was once again implying on Commander Erwin's wish for you to elaborate on, well, everything. If you were going to be here under their protection, the least you had to do was let them know what they were living with. So you figured. Levi on the other hand was alright with you taking the time to warmen up to the idea instead of forcing you upon it. There wasn't much time left however, since your kidnapping had been heard by the higher-ups, and a report was requested as soon as possible.

You looked down onto your hands, examining every inch of your skin and fingernails carefully, not really sure why but you had concluded that it was due to your anxiety. After all, what would you tell everyone? That you were another human-devouring creature who had been hearing the voice of her long lost sister inside of her head for the past few months? The worst case scenario isn't very hard to imagine. Or at least, any result could be labeled as the worst case scenario. Your friends might no longer accept you, or yet even worse, you'll be imprisoned or even killed by the government.

In Eren's case, he had it easier being a Titan, something that the people at least had some information on. But then how about you? A man-eating human-like creature living amongst humans, who ironically lived to. . . Protect humans?

No matter how you put it, people will see you as a joke. A monster can't possibly defend humans from other monsters. Such ridicule would be uncalled for, and eventually the people would be even more frightened of you than of the Titans.

These exact same thoughts bothered you every single night, ever since you've finished reading that book on Ghouls.

"(Y/n)," Levi said, pulling your hand slightly before you were about to nibble on your fingernails. "I'm not waiting for you to tell us anything, but the report is due tomorrow."

"I see. . ." You muttered, voice trailing away.

"I'll write up an alibi that those damned police won't be able to fault us for." He said, eyes glinting with determination. "No matter what, I won't let them touch a single hair on your head."

You nervously bit your lip as his grip around your wrist tightened. He seemed to be deep in thought, until you had mustered up a response, saying something that you have contemplated over for some time.

"No, we can't do that. You'll have to tell them the truth."

Levi gritted his teeth, pushing your shoulders roughly with his two hands. You were shocked by the sudden action, albeit this was the first time he had reacted aggressively towards you since these few days. Which, somehow assured you that he was still capable of being his normal self.

"Are you insane? (Y/n), do you have any damn idea of what they'll do to you?"

You stayed silent, contemplating your choices.

Levi was right. Revealing who you were to the government wouldn't serve you any good. People were afraid of what they couldn't control. And then, it would take so very little for you to get ripped away from what gave your life meaning. But it was terribly hard in the world that you lived in. Even if you kept your secrets hidden from the higher-ups, what kind of life did you expect for in a place that only promised for pain and death?

Your eyes focused back into reality, reconnecting with Levi's wavering ones. His grip began to loosen as he hung his head. You could only gaze at him, unable to form the words that you wanted so badly to express.

I'm sorry. Please, help me. I really don't know what to do.

Your hand gently rested on his shoulder, slowly, you began to feel the way his breathing hitched, and how his frame was shaking ever so slightly.

Then it hit you.

Levi was crying.

He was facing away to prevent you from seeing just how cheated on he truly felt. To have you taken away from him so many goddamn times. That even now, although you had returned into his arms, there was no guarantee you'd still be here tomorrow, or any of the days to follow.

"Levi. . ." You whispered anxiously, and that was all it took for him to realize that you had noticed his downfall.

Please, don't leave me again. I'm sorry.

His lips parted, but nothing could come out.

Never in his life had he understood, that the most unbearable pain was cast by the things left unsaid, and the actions left undone.