Ch 10) The Chunin Exams Begin

Konoha

The gang is set to arrive back at Konoha in a few minutes, a few days after the fight on the bridge, where Naruto slaughtered everyone mercilessly. Everyone respected the blond's wishes, and didn't speak about what happened on the mission. Sakura didn't speak because she was too afraid that Naruto might snap at her again. Sasuke was just his usual brooding self, thinking about getting revenge on his brother and becoming stronger than Naruto, as fast as he could. The only thing Kakashi said about the entire ordeal is that he would have to tell the third Hokage. The boy just nodded and continued his way to the village. He never even turned around.

Kakashi ran ahead of his students and waited for them at the gate. Once they arrived as well, he spoke. "Alright, everybody! Go home and get some rest. Training starts at training ground seven, at 8 o'clock. And bring all the weapons you can carry. Dismissed." After they all went their separate ways, Kakashi headed to the Hokage Tower. He went up and knocked on the door to Hokage's office. Waiting until he hears a "Come in." The Jonin walks into the office, and bows to his leader.

The Village leader had a smile on his face. "Ah, Kakashi, I wasn't expecting you for another week. Was the mission a success?"

"Yes, Tazuna was escorted safely to wave country, and finished his bridge without any danger to his health," There was a dark undertone to his voice.

The Third Hokage was immediately on high alert when he noticed it. "What happened?" He was fearful of the answer.

"It turns out, it wasn't a simple c-rank mission. Our client was being targeted by Gato, From Gato Enterprises. Gato had him hunted by rogue Ninja, dangerous ones. On our way to wave, we encountered The Demon Brothers, from the hidden Mist. Them being simple, Chunin, Sasuke and Naruto easily took them out,"

"Well that's good, but if that's what happened, why are you so distraught right now?"

"There's more." Kakashi sighs in exasperation, before continuing his story. " Due to the fact that our enemies were Chunin, the mission had become a b-rank. I told the team that we were going back, but Naruto insisted on staying, even if it was just him." Kakashi gives the old man a small proud smile. "His desire to help people is truly remarkable."

"yes it is," Another proud smile overtakes The Hokage's face. A couple moments pass by before Sarutobi tells Kakashi to "continue."

"After we all decided to stay, that's when Tazuna told us the truth. Gato had come to wave and took it over. This is why they didn't pay for a b-rank. They couldn't afford it. So after we got off a boat near Tazuna's house, we were attacked by another rogue Ninja. Like I thought, it was a Jonin. Not just any Jonin, it was Zabuza Momochi!" Kakashi waits for The Hokage's reaction.

"The Demon Of The Hidden Mist!" The Old Man realizes with terror in his eyes, at the prospect of Genin having to face him. "Is everyone alright? Does your team need medical attention?" He was frantic.

"No, everyone is ok. The problem is what happened a week later, right before we left," Kakashi answers. "Anyway, so I told Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura to stay back, while I took care of him. I knew I would have to fight with full strength, in order to protect them. So I used My Sharingan. He eventually got the upper hand and trapped me in a water prison. I told the kids to run, but they didn't listen. Naruto and Sasuke came up with a plan to get me out, and it worked. Before I could do anything though, Naruto used a wind Jutsu on Zabuza, and knocked him out cold, by blasting him into a tree."

"That's not entirely surprising. Naruto is incredibly strong for a kid his age," The Hokage laments. "Anyway, you were saying?"

"After Zabuza was knocked out, Senbon needles flew out from behind a tree branch and struck him in the neck. A Hunter-Nin showed up, and claimed she had been hunting Zabuza for months. And thanks to us, she finally got a chance to take him out. She then disappeared with the body. It was a little odd, but I didn't have the time to think about it, since I passed out from chakra exhaustion, due to the overuse of My Sharingan. I woke up on a travel cot at Tazuna's. The team and I talked about the previous events, and I found that Naruto had the same suspicions about the Hunter-Nin that I did. We figured out that Zabuza was most likely still alive, and the Hunter-Nin was his accomplice."