Ch 5) Ambushed On The Road To Wave

A couple hours later, Naruto and the gang are still walking towards The Land Of Waves, when they come across a man and his boat.

Tazuna walked over to the man who was currently standing in the small canoe. "Sanji, Can you take us across the river please?"

The man, now known as Sanji, smiled. "Of course Tazuna," he answered. "But I'll be using the oars. It is vital that we remain as quiet as possible."

"Alright. Thank you." Tazuna stepped into the boat.

Kakashi, Sakura, Sasuke, followed suit, entering the boat as well. Naruto on the other hand, stood still. He stayed on land and just glared at the mode of transportation. It was as if the object had personally wronged him.

Kakashi was confused. "Naruto, are you Okay? Get in the boat."

"No way, I'll walk," Naruto replies, disdain in his voice.

"Naruto, quit being stupid and get in the boat!!!" Sakura says, somehow being loud and quiet at the same time.

Naruto was adamant. "No thanks, I'm good." He walks out onto the water as if it was land, shocking everyone, even Kakashi.

"Naruto, how are you able to do that?" Sasuke was jealous that there was another ability that Naruto possessed that he himself did not.

The blond wasn't even showing off at the moment. He really did not think it was such a big deal. "It's just a chakra control technique." The boy shrugs. "Sensei can do it too."

Kakashi was still amazed. "Yes, but not for very long. I'm curious, Naruto. How long can you do it?"

"Just a few hours," the blond answers nonchalantly.

That's amazing, his chakra reserves and control are way above even the most elite Jonin. "Well since you can maintain it. I guess you won't need the boat. Let's go Sanji."

The man complied. "Alright, but remember, we must be really quiet."

Time skip (Under bridge)

Kakashi held Tazuna to his end of the bargain. "So Tazuna, tell us more about the situation with Gato."

The bridge builder tensed up, hoping that the Sensei had forgotten. "Well he came here about a year ago, along with all the goons and rogue Ninja he hires. Then he took control of the ports, seizing all of our assets."

Everything clicked into place for Naruto. "That makes sense. Given the fact that your country is surrounded by water. Taking over the ports gives someone complete control over what goes out, and what comes in. Allowing him to cut off trade, and make the country itself incredibly poor."

Tazuna was relieved someone understood. "Yes. That's why I'm building my bridge. So we can once again trade with neighboring countries and return Wave to its status of prosperity in the nation's economy."

"But won't Gato just take control of the bridge as well?" Granted, Naruto figures he could easily get rid of the man and his thugs. But he wasn't sure how Kakashi would feel about that outcome.

Tazuna looked sheepish. "I was kind of hoping you guys could take care of him as well."

"Our mission was just to protect you while you finished building your bridge, but I'll think about taking care of Gato." Naruto was right. Kakashi was not keen on the idea of having to kill someone on his team's first outing from the village. But he might end up having to forgo that train of thought.

"Thank you, Kakashi-Sensei!"

The boat captain was getting annoyed. "Shhh!! Quiet down," he demands in a whisper.