Under the water

As we walked under the waterfall, to avoid slipping and splitting my skull, Reid held my hand tightly, like the last time. And to be completely honest I didn't mind all that much. It was kind of comforting, knowing he was there and that I didn't always have to be alone. We climbed into the same cave only this time it was slightly more difficult, with the basket and the big cameras around our necks. Reid helped me up, than I had to lean down and get the basket, before pulling him up.

We stood there for a moment just admiring the beautiful sun in the water. I heard the click of his camera as he took a photo, than heard the sound of it being printed, I noticed the photo I had taken earlier was still in my hand. I walked over to the basket and took out the blanket, placing it on the rocky surface, to sit down more comfortably. Reid came and sat next to me. We awkwardly smiled at each other for a moment, before I reached into the basket and pulled out an apple. He digs in now, and finds a juice box drinking it slowly. Until he speaks, finally breaking the silence.

"So, why don't you want to go to that dance?" Oh, god. Of course, he just had to ask.

"With you or at all?" I ask, cautiously, to be sure I answer correctly.

"At all."

"Well I don't know, I never really go to anything the school does," I try to explain, "Like anything socially." I mutter a shy laugh and he smiles.

"Why not?" He seemed genuinely curious.

"Well, I obviously would never ask anyone, and no one really talked to me but Amber and them. I guess I just never really had anyone to go with." I shrug. I never thought it was a big deal. But judging on his reaction, what I just said, had shocked him.

"Amber and them, they're your friends aren't they?"

"Yeah, I guess. But just at lunch. I never talk to them more than that." I look down.

"Well, I've never really had friends to go with and dancing is just not my thing." I laugh shyly. I did not have the physical balance to dance, or even stand on my two feet, without tripping over them. He laughs with me.

"Oh don't worry, you're not the only one." Reid, looks over at me. "Some girl had asked me to dance once and I almost broke her heel." We chuckles. We're quiet for a second, then he continues.

"At my old school, in San Francisco, I would go to most of the things but just with my friends," He looks away from me. "But not with a girl." He says a little quieter. He turns toward me, I look up into his eyes and hold his gaze as he speaks.

"Go with me." He says and I push his shoulder playfully, "We could stand by the punch and watch other people dance." He suggests. "C'mon." If we weren't here and I wasn't in a trance staring into his beautiful eyes, I would have argued to say no but I couldn't I just couldn't. I wanted to say he was so irresistible but I am not one of those girls.

"Fine." I answer, finally able to look away. I look down to hide my face, my cheeks were burning red and I was sure he would notice.

Moments go by and my shyness finally washes away. I munch on my apple and he finishes his juice. As we sit in silence, I examine the entire area, a little more. The little path under the water fall that had led us to the cave, was so thin, that by really looking around, if someone were to run from the back of the cave and jump, they would probably be able to jump over the path, through the running water and into the little river. I decide to consult Reid.

"If someone were to run through the cave and jump, do you think they could make it to the water?" He looks around, thinking of what I said.

"Yeah, I think so. If you could avoid all the rocks at the bottom, I don't think there are many but it could still be a little dangerous."