A friend and a book

We pull into the parking lot and Lucas stops the car. We get out and walk over to the building in silence. We did talk a little bit in the car. Well, sort of. More like he talked, I listened. Within the 10 minute drive I learned he was on the football team, he had a younger brother and an older sister and that his parents had cool jobs that they never had to leave the house. His dad was an artist and his mom worked on the phone. He seemed to enjoy talking about himself and for that I was thankfull because by the time we got to the coffee shop he had talked the whole time he didn't get the chance to ask me about my family. Thank God. Honestly, he wasn't the kind of person I would usually talk to but then again, who was? No one was. There was no person I would usually talk to, or ever talk to, for that matter.

He opened the door and allowed me to step in before him. Quite the gentleman, this guy. He walked over to the counter and I noticed the girl working there looked pretty young. Maybe 18-19. I read her name tag. Maggie. 18 year old Maggie spoke up asking us what we wanted. Lucas bought two coffees and we went to sit far in the corner of the shop, where there was hardly any people. It was creepy knowing people could listen to your conversation. I don't know why but I'm weird like that.

"Thanks for the coffee." I spoke up at last, not talking very loud, or sounding all that confident. Lucas smiled. "No problem."

"So, how do you know me again?" I asked before taking a sip of my black coffee with one milk. Just how I like it.

"Do you know Chris' brother Alex?" He questioned. But I just shook my head in response. The only way I know Chris, and the rest of the gang was because they sat with me in the cafeteria. But that was it. I didn't talk to them any other time. Didn't know any of their lives but the stories they told at lunch.

"Oh well I'm just a friend of his. Also you're in a couple of my classes." He was pretty good at talking. He filled in every silent moment I left. Avoided every awkward silence, I'd accidentally created. I'm in a way glad he was that way, otherwise this could be very awkward.

"Oh, cool."

Wow, I'm lame.

He laughs. "Actually, I find you quite fascinating." He smiled jokingly at me. Shit. I did not mean to say that out loud. I lower my head in shame and stare at the ground but only for a couple seconds, before he chuckles, breaking the tension. He clears his throat to speak and I lift my head to look at him.

"Hey, uhm I have a game next week if you would want to go?" His words weren't has strong as they usually were. But came out kind of shy. "Only if you want." He added quickly. Hmm. I thought for a moment. Sports?

"Well, The Lord knows I stink at playing..." is face fell as I started my sentence but changed the second I continued. "But I would like watching." I tried to smile. I wasn't lying. I was a fan of football. A bunch of angry, sweaty guys tackling each other for a ball was quite fascinating. Almost like The Hunger Games, but no one died. Well, no one was supposed to.

We talked for an other 10-20 minutes, finished our coffees and got up from our seats. I grabbed my jacket and we walked out the door. I sat in the car waiting to feel the warm air. It was pretty chilly out today, but I was soon enjoying the warmth of the heat in the car. I don't know why but I was feeling pretty tried, already and it was only four thirty. Who would have know that drinking coffee could be exhausting.

Lucas started the car and drive out of the parking lot, after I told him where I lived, we fell into silence. I could easily tell, he did not like silence.

"That was fun." He said casually, making conversation.

"Yeah." I said shyly smiling.

"I know we just met, but it's nice to finally talk and get on a friendly basis." He reasoned. I responded again with another boring "yeah" and he chuckled. I guess he was right. It was nice to have a friend. A real friend. Of course Amber and them were real, but I've never actually hung out with them. Of course they've invited me to parties and hang outs and stuff but I'm usually a big turn down. But for some reason, I couldn't turn down Lucas, he was so friendly, I couldn't be mean.