No gardening skills

Corah's POV

I walk down the emptying halls on my way to find Reid. Lunch was like any other day. All I got today was more details to that stupid dance. Jade said it would be the weekend before March brake. A couple weeks away. So far it didn't have a theme or reason, that I knew about so like most things, I found it pointless. Reaching the parking lot, I spot Reid by his car.

"Hey." He smiles.

"Hi." I say not sounding half as enthusiastic as he did. We get in the car and drive out of the school parking lot. As we reach his street, I break the silence.

"Are your parents home?" I kind of regretted asking that because I remembered that his mom was 'no longer around', whatever that meant, I wasn't sure yet.

"No, dad is on a work trip so he wont be back till Tuesday." He answered, casually.

"Do you like being alone?" I asked out of the blue. He laughs slightly then stops.

"To be honest with you, not really." He pulls into the drive way and looks over to me, stopping the engine. I look into his eyes trying to read them. I could tell he was really being honest with me. I could see it. He was sad inside. "He leaves almost every weekend." He continued.

"Doesn't that bother you?" I said a little louder. I wasn't usually one to voice my opinion but I know what it's like when people leave you. Yeah, sometimes I liked being by myself but only because I knew my family was only minutes away. I wasn't to happy when they were days and hours away and they left us with the tormentor (Bill's brother).

"Well, I guess a little, but it's for his work. There's not much I can do." He said quietly. I never met Reid's dad but I was already upset with him. Along with my parents.

He looked so sad. He did seem like the kind of person who always needed company. Just the cheerful type. You know? I look over at him and see he was looking down and hiding his face from me.

"I'll stay with you." The words came out like nothing. I wasn't too sure why I said that.

"For the weekend, I mean. Like until your dad gets back." I stumble out trying to explain. "If you want." I add quietly looking away. Then I look back at him and see his sadness was gone. He was smiling. Not an annoying smirk but just a smile. I smile back, shyly.

"Thanks." He says.

Finally we get out of the car and walk into the house. The only room of the house I had seen was the living room and only a little bit of the kitchen. As I walk into it now I could fully observe it. It was nice. Big like the living room. Everything seemed oddly clean for a house of two men. The counters were brown-ish read and cupboards were just a nice solid brown. There was a small polished table in the middle of the room, a stainless steal fridge in a corner. A stove and sink along the counter of the wall. The ceiling was pretty high and it had a big light hanging down from it. My kitchen was probably half the size and not even half as nice.

"I put the stuff in an other room, I'll go get it." Reid said as he walked out of the room and down the hall. A couple seconds latter he came back with the pots, the dirt, watering cans, seeds and more planting gear. He looked like a proper gardener. Although he was totally about to drop everything. As the pots were slipping out of his hands, I grabbed them.

"I got it." I took the dirt from him and was about to put them on the table, "I think we should cover the table first. Don't you think?" I said before he could put the stuff down. He sighed. I chuckled.

"Yeah, I guess. There's an old table cloth in the cupboard down there." He nodded to the cupboard beside the sink. I open it, pots and dirt still in my hand. There were cloths and rags in there a long with the table cloth he was talking about . I pull it with my free hand, it was old and stained. I do my best to place it on the table, it was terribly crooked but we didn't care. We both dropped the planting stuff on the table as soon as we could.