Chapter Thirty-Seven

A/N: This is the last chapter before the epilogue, wow. I thought it would be like two more but no this is it...

WC: Roughly 3,000 (so like 2x longer than usual)

Dan's POV

I had spent the past five days taking the big end-of-year tests for all my classes. Needless to say, I was relieved when it was all over.

"Did you have that question about the two fish and the half-lives?" Val inquired, taking a large bite out of her apple.

"Mm!" Phil hummed, unable to speak due to his mouth full of food, "That was the worst!"

"Glad I didn't have it then," I grinned, "I forgot literally everything about half-lives."

Val was about to agree when a student walked over to the table, disrupting out conversation.

"Hey Alec, can I sit here?" I didn't recognize the boy, but I assumed he was in Alec's year.

"Y-yeah, sure!" Alec smiled up at the boy, scooting over.

Val gave us all a questioning glance. "Who's this?"

"L-Leo, he h-helped t-tutor me in maths," Alec smiled shyly, glancing at his friend.

Leo was a bit taller than Alec but far more muscular. He was rather attractive, with golden blonde hair and deep blue eyes. I hated to admit how jealous I was of his high cheekbones and sharp jawline.

"Leo, this is my sister, Val, and my friends, Dan and Phil."

"Nice to meet you all," Leo smiled.

We all muttered words of introduction, giving our new table member polite smiles.

"So um... you guys are coming to the dance tonight, right?" Val spoke up in an attempt to kill the awkward silence that had overcome us, "I mean not that I'm giving you a choice. I've been setting this up for weeks, if you're not coming willingly I will literally drag you here by your hair."

Leo was the only one who laughed; for he was the only one who didn't realize she was serious.

"Of course we're coming," Phil assured her, "We're all too scared not to."

"I'd hope so," Val said, then turning to Leo, "What about you, are you going?"

"Yeah!" The boy paused before adding, "I was hoping to go with Alec, actually."

Val's eyes widened, a series of emotions passing over her face. Alec, on the other hand, was blushing terribly.

"I m-mean I g-guess we c-can go as f-friends..." The young boy muttered, staring down at his hands.

"Great!" Leo exclaimed, beaming, "What about you guys, do you have dates?"

"Well I have Phil, but Val is going stag" I explained slowly, still taken aback by what had just happened.

Val only rolled her eyes. "I don't have time for a date, I literally have to manage the whole thing! It's not like there's anyone I wanted to go with anyway."

"What, you don't want to be our third wheel? I asked, wrapping an arm around Phil's waist.

Val glared, flicking a piece of food at us.

"We're only kidding!" I laughed, "You're more than welcome to hang out with us at the dance."

Our pink haired friend went to make a witty remark but was silenced by the lunch bell.