Chapter Five

A/N: IM SO SORRY FOR BEING SO LATE I PROMISE THIS WONT BECOME A PATTERN! I HAVE JUST HAD A LOT OF SCHOOL WORK AND THEN I GOT SICK AND UHG.

So I was really conflicted on how this was going to play out, like I don't want things to move too quickly, but at the same time I don't want to have the same things happen over and over so idk

PHIL'S POV

I could feel myself teetering on the edge of sleep as my teacher droned on and on. Maybe it was just his monotonous voice, but I felt as if I had been in this room for hours. My eyes were just beginning to flutter closed when the shrill ringing school bell went off. I jumped, nearly stabbing myself in the eye with my pencil. (Personal experience...) Tiredly pushing myself out of my seat, I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder.

With my head down, I shuffled through the hallway full of teenagers, pressed as closely as I could to the wall.

I had a free period next, which meant an hour of sitting by myself in the library. This was certainly my favorite part of the day—I had always loved reading. It had been my escape from reality for as long as I remember. Whenever that sinking feeling of depression began to soak into my mind, I would simply pull out a book and begin reading. Of course, this was only a temporary fix. Eventually, the horrible thoughts would break through their paper dam, and I would be left to drown.

I was jolted out of my mind as I crashed into someone. Their bag fell to the ground, sending pencils and pens scattering.

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! I hurried to the floor, quickly picking up the student's things. "I—I wasn't looking where I was—ah!" My words were cut short as a foot collided with my stomach, sending me sprawling backward.

Groaning, I looked up at the figure guardedly, already knowing who it would be.

"Be more careful next time, faggot," Anthony spat, glaring down at me with disgust. Tony and Sam stood behind him, both with similar sneers. I looked around, praying there would be a teacher I could draw the attention of, but the hall was nearly empty, and I didn't think I could rely on any of the almost-late students to help me.

"Looking for your little boy toy, masochist?" Sam, the tall, lanky, brunet spat out.

"I'm not a masochist." My voice shook with emotion.

"Ah, that's too bad," Anthony stepped forward, bending down so he was level with me. "Because if you were, you would love this."

I held a hand up; a feeble attempt to block whatever was coming.

"Hey, teachers coming!" I heard a yell echo down the hallway. I cracked one eye open to see a brown-haired figure jogging down the hall.

"Ah shit..." Anthony trailed off as he grabbed his bag, slinging it over his shoulder. "You got lucky, pretty-boy," He spat, casting me a mean glare.

I stayed on the floor, my balled fists tremoring as I watched the trio turn and hurry down the hall.

As soon as they were out of sight, I let out a breath I was unaware I had been holding.

"You okay?"

Dan stood above me; an awkward smile on his face and his hand extended for me to take. I looked at him hesitantly, briefly considering the possibility this was part of some elaborate scheme to torture me...no, they were all too stupid for that. I grabbed Dan's hand, allowing him to help me up. "Yeah, fine." I let go of him the minute I was standing, refusing to make eye-contact.

We stood in an awkward moment of silence before I finally spoke.

"You, um, might want to go catch up with your friends," I muttered, nodding in the direction they had run off in.